Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By petrus bitbyter
#89695 Installed last IDE (18.1.3) and ESP8266 board software. Can program an Arduino Nano but ESP01 cannot make contact. New CH340 drivers installed. No joy. ( Used those small CH340 programming boards.) Something goes wrong as the IDE complains about upload.py, esptools.py and others that seem to fail. Originally I worked on a W10. Tried it on another W10. Same result. Then I did an installation on an Ubuntu. Same kind of error messages. So I stopped blaming Billy for another windows pitfall. But can anyone tell what's going on? I seem to be the only one that encounters this problem.

petrus bitbyter

BTW the ESP01S also fails.
By StanJ
#89894 You might need an OLDER copy of the CH340 drivers. I'd read somewhere that WinHeng pulled the same stunt that FTDI did (modified their driver to kill clone chips) although I can't find that message with Google at the moment. Doing so it problematic with Win10 as it's always trying to find NEW! IMPROVED! drivers for you, and it'll replace a perfectly good driver with a broken one. The only way to stop it is to take yourself off of the Internet, AFAIK. I reformatted and went back to Win8.1 as it doesn't have that idiotic default behavior.
Google gets ALL sorts of hits for problems with Win10 and CH340...