Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By markyd
#14160 I've tried and tried to get this to work, using the full standalone version 1.6.1 from the git, adding esp8266com folder into an already installed 1.6.1 and then 1.6.3 (in a hardware folder in the sketch book folder) and just can't get it to see the esptool in "programmers". I can see the board no problem, but no matter what I try I can't see the programmer.

I've tried in on my desktop and on my laptop. Both run windows 8.1. My 'arduino' sketch book folder is in "my documents" which doesn't sit on my C drive, but the stetch book location in the preferences reflects where it is. I've tried fresh downloads, uninstalling previously installed versions of arduino but to no avail.

I must be doing something pretty basic wrong but for the life of me I can't see what.
By gerardwr
#14173 I assume you have selected:
- Board : ESP8266
- Port : your serial port

I had the same issue when I downloaded the Arduino-1.6.3 and then added the ESP specifics. In Programmers, "esptool" did not appear. After Quiting and restarting Arduino, esptool appeared.

Not sure this helps.
By gerardwr
markyd wrote:I'm not sure I've actually plugged the board in to the serial port on the PC yet. Would I not be able to see "esptool" in the prograamer menu without it plugged in?

I would imagine that esptool would appear also without the ESP plugged in, but I'm not sure. Give it a try!