Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Dennis
#18081 Hm, all nice and working, but I want to note here that I wired RTS and DTR up correctly (apparently) and autoreset is working fine - but when I open the IDEs serial monitor, the esp8266 module enters fw upload/bootloader mode (!) which is pretty useless at this moment and effectively stops the running sketch, and its serial output too,..

Why are RTS AND DTR being pulled low *all the time*, as soon as the serial monitor is started?

This makes no sense, maybe just pull one of the two low for a few ms to reset when monitor starts up, but not both pins - and not all the time!!

Please. ;)

Apart from this, I really like the new IDE.

Edit - found the two following lines in boards.txt:

nodemcu.serial.disableDTR=true
nodemcu.serial.disableRTS=true

and tried setting both to false, restarted IDE, recompiled some sketch > no change in behavior.
Searched around a bit, and found this:
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/22
(in a nutshell, with 1.6.1 one had to recompile the arduino IDE from source to be able to use this config file flag, but once this was done, it worked without reset in serial monitor)

So, now my question has changed to: why does it not work today, with my freshly installed arduino 1.6.4 IDE?
I guess it should work without entering bootloader on opening serial monitor, right?
Or will this only be incorporated in some later release?

regards
By Dennis
ozayturay wrote:That's what i was talking about. Those settings are only available in 1.6.1 downloaded (or compiled from source) from https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino because that patch didn't make it in the official Arduino source so not present in 1.6.4 IDE.

Confirmed.

So, with the new board manager stuff we don't have control over the IDE's source as with the previous esp8266 fork, and thats a problem in this case, since the patch would include a new compiled arduino.exe (for windows) and presumably this cannot be applied to a running arduino IDE instance..

So we're back at a customized IDE if we want autoreset to work properly, and cannot use the board manager feature?

(btw just got it running with 1.6.1 and the patch - thx for sharing)

regards