Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Angelo Santagata
#21014 fyi for everyone else, I also had a vanilla esp8266-12 which I couldnt get working. For this one I couldnt even get nodemcu working so I was assuming it was power requirements..

This is partially/mainly correct, however since i got the nodemcu dev board working I hooked the vanilla one up and then flashed my dummy example.. It still didnt work (was printing a hello world), but the results were different in the serial. I left it whilst I was doing something else then magically "Hello Angelo" 10 times appeared in the serial, then it crashed.. then after a bit it worked again (after a autonomous reboot).. This is pointing 100% to not enough juice but the flash appeared to work
:-)

Issue logged with github to get this fixed https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/451
Just thought Id share this..
By sohialsadiq
Angelo Santagata wrote:Thanks to reaper7 this is now working!
As reaper said this appears to be a ESP826612E, and I bet my other ESP8266 is a 12E

I added the nodeMCU 1.0 (ESP12E) to boards.txt, restarted arduino and voila worked first time

The only thing which took me a while to suss out was I was editing the wrong boards.txt , I was looking at the one in my arduino directory however the correct location is the one in the preferences directory.. For me on Windows it is
C:\Users\Angelo\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\1.6.4-673-g8cd3697

Made the changes to the correct board.txt, reflashed my standard "blink" and I was then greeted with flashing LED..

Compiling on windows is still slow,(tried it on the mac and its quick quick)

HURRRRAAAAAHH!!!

OK Wiki entry to be had I think.. where?

finally I do need to thank all you responded and gave me insights/ideas. Ok took a while to suss it out but I learnt a lot about some of the wiring... so all good in the long run.

HI,
i am facing same problem with nidemcu can you send my txt file you updated, it will be great help.