Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By onehorse
#22128 I designed and assembled an ESP8266 [url]https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/0FfXBo62//url]breakout[/url] board and firrst trid node mcu bootloader. This seemed to be successful but I couldn't get anywhere with luaLoader so I tried the Arduino IDE. I think I hooked it up the same and correct way but when I try to upload a blink program I get a serial read failure:

Code: Select all/* LED Blink, Teensyduino Tutorial #1
   http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/tutorial.html

This example code is in the public domain.
*/
#define myLed 16

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(38400);
  pinMode(myLed, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(myLed, HIGH);

}

// the loop() methor runs over and over again,
// as long as the board has power

void loop() {
//  if (Serial.available() > 0) {
//    Serial.write(Serial.read());
//  }
    digitalWrite(myLed, !digitalRead(myLed));
delay(1000);
}

I can't seem to copy the verbose serial output but it says warning: espcomm_sync failed and error: espcomm_open failed.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
By martinayotte
#22180 Do you mean that you are not able to upload ?
Turn on the "verbose" checkbox in Arduino IDE, maybe you will see more.
Are you having all proper connections and having GPIO0 at LOW during flashing ?
Are you running on Windows or Linux ?
On Linux, it is usually because you don't have USB serial port permissions.
By tytower
#22239 That error is telling you Arduino cant upload to the chip so something is wrong with your connections . See the wiki above on this page . When set right and you power up the blue led flashes once . Then you can upload the code if your serial port is set right.
By Psifrost
#23295 I had this problem for a while as well. The solution I found that works was strange. I GPIO 0 connected to ground prior to powering the chip, then disconnected it after powering the chip but before starting the flash. Credit goes to quintinjvr for this fix. The thread on it is here , if you'd like to read more