Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By ridge
#24550 @tytower, What OS are you running? This missing file bug only seems to be for 32bit linux systems.

I got successful install of esp8266/Arduino 0.4.5 on a Windows7 32bit machine today.

I have the same missing file error as @mikekgr on a Ubuntu linux 32bit machine today.

This bug is keeping new linux 32bit users of esp8266/Arduino from being able to install.

edit: There is a esptool-0.4.5-linux32.tar.gz file sitting on my local hard drive in the
.arduino15/staging/packages folder on my machine. (Select 'Show Hidden Files' from the Home directory.)
The installer is looking online in the github website for it... so close yet so far :D
By tytower
#24585 Yes you are both right . I had forgotten that step as I had installed 0.4.4 previously and it works fine . Sorry. I suggest you go to GitHub/ESP8266/Arduino/Issues and tell Igrr its not working for version 0.4.5

There is an issue open so the more that add a note the sooner it gets fixed
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/613
Last edited by tytower on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tytower
ridge wrote:@tytower, What OS are you running? This missing file bug only seems to be for 32bit linux systems.

I got successful install of esp8266/Arduino 0.4.5 on a Windows7 32bit machine today.

I have the same missing file error as @mikekgr on a Ubuntu linux 32bit machine today.
This bug is keeping new linux 32bit users of esp8266/Arduino from being able to install.
edit: There is a esptool-0.4.5-linux32.tar.gz file sitting on my local hard drive in the
.arduino15/staging/packages folder on my machine. (Select 'Show Hidden Files' from the Home directory.)
The installer is looking online in the github website for it... so close yet so far :D

If you try expanding the tar.gz and put it in '/root/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/esptool/0.4.4/esptool' and see how you go . It will maybe work OK until the bug is fixed.Thats assuming you have a previous package installed so its a bit of a messy solution. You could temporarily copy the full package files from the windows machine and put it in the same location maybe.

Pick up "esp8266" directory complete from a working version and copy it to /root/.arduino15/packages/ or wherever you have it installed.
I don't understand why you would get a good one for windows 32bit and an error on Linux 32bit
By ridge
I don't understand why you would get a good one for windows 32bit and an error on Linux 32bit

Line 135 in https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/blob ... package.sh

references the "missing" file. Four host target systems are identified for esp8266/Arduino.
I have battled GNU make in the past.
The original GNU make utility author, Richard Stallman always wins.