Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By ima747
#37476 Hello all, just getting started with a lot of this so apologies if I'm doing something stupid.

I've got an ESP-12E and after much fiddling got it responding to AT commands so I'm fairly confident that my power and TX/RX are working and I know how to make it boot. It defaults to communication at 115200 baud, and the boot up diagnostics communicate at 74880 which I hear is normal. I've been using Arduino 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 to peek at the 74880 messages since 1.6.5 doesn't support that rate.

I can get it to boot into I think UART (according to https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/blob ... -and-usage) to upload to. I can get it to either respond with
" ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,7)"
or
" ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(5,7)

waiting for host
"
depending on if I pull 15 LOW (which is normal and results in the first message) or floating. It doesn't seem to matter if pin 2 is high or floating in any scenario. Am I getting it into the proper mode to upload? Do I want to see "waiting for host" (which should be some SDIO mode according to the doc above, and not what I want).

Assuming that boot mode 1 is indeed what I want, and that therefore I've got it wired up right, how do I get Arduino to upload? I'm using 1.6.5 since everything says its the only version that works properly. I've tried ESP8266 2.0.0 and 1.6.5-whatever, through boards manager. When I try to upload it says
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
This lead me to http://hpclab.blogspot.mx/2015/06/esp82 ... -os-x.html which I tried on both versions which got me to a different error; failed to connect.

I am using an arduino uno as a USB serial adapter by connecting reset to ground, and then by removing the chip all together. In both cases I can use AT commands without issue, so I don't *think* I need different hardware... As an aside I've gotten it to communicate through a teensy as well, but actually has to use the teensy to pass comms back and forth so I've opted for the more direct approach through the uno's board.

Question 1: Am I getting it into the right mode to program in the first place? Documentation all says so by my understanding but would appreciate a second opinion since the messages are so convoluted and inaccessible at a strange baud rate, and there's so many possible boot modes...

Question 2: Should 2.0.0 work on mac without modification, or do I still need to use esptool.py in place of espota.py that comes with it?

Question 3: Assuming I've got it booting right, connected right, and need esptool.py, is it's documentation (specifically step 3 ) applicable and accurate to 2.0.0?

Thanks for any feedback anyone might have!
By ima747
#37521 I loaded everything up under windows and got it to upload just fine so definitely just an issue with the uploader under OS X. Have managed to reproduce my various errors from scratch but no further progress. Any tips on getting arduino uploading to the device under OS X would be greatly appreciated.
By AJB2K3
ima747 wrote:I loaded everything up under windows and got it to upload just fine so definitely just an issue with the uploader under OS X. Have managed to reproduce my various errors from scratch but no further progress. Any tips on getting arduino uploading to the device under OS X would be greatly appreciated.

Not helpfull I know, but I had to switch back to an old wintop to work on the esp as I just got no where with osx.
By ima747
#37550 At least I know I'm not alone, which is something :) It feels like the tools are right on the edge of working beautifully and just need a nudge to get there, i.e. nothing past 1.6.5 works properly but everything past 1.6.5 support 74880 so you can see the diagnostics on boot... I suspect a couple more revisions of the boards tools and arduino and it will all come together but until then we probably have to cobble pieces together and hope for the best. It does work well enough through VMWare that it's not a total nightmare to work with, but it is certainly a big PITA, especially when just getting started and trying to do quick iteration.