Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By HamzaHajeir
#78999 Hi guys.

I've worked a week ago to flash my esp Over The Air.
Uploaded BasicOTA official sketch, All things went fine. Tested file uploading with success.

Then after 2 days, I went to develop the code and merge it in a real project. but after i upload it by serial, Network port won't show anymore (Only shows serial port) !

So tried back to BasicOTA sketch, with no success.

I've dived into this issue and reached a good point to the final solution:

See @krzychb's response, I tried a similar command below, See results :

OTA uploading is success! but until now there's no Network port is shown at Arduino IDE.

I've restarted Arduino IDE many times with no success.

*Platform
Hardware: [ESP8266 NodeMCU 1.0 v3]
Development Env: [Arduino IDE 1.8.7]
Operating System: [Windows 10 x64]

*Settings in IDE :

*Things i tried :
-reset ESP after the serial uploading.
-restart PC
-restart Arduino IDE after the serial upload.
-disabled firewall -Then created rules-.

My esp8266's core is updated to last version (2.4.2)

Thanks in advance
Hamza Hajeir
By PeteKnight
#79007 OTA requires the Bonjour service to be running on your PC. You should check that the service is set to auto start and that it’s running.
If it appear to be running okay, try restarting the service, then restarting the Arduino IDE and checking if the issue is solved.

Also, remember that ESP’s can only work with the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band. If you’re router is configured to segregate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands to different vLANs, and your PC is connected to the 5GHz band then you won’t be able to see the ESP from your PC.
Try pinging the IP address of your ESP (if it’s known) or running an IP scanner on your PC to ensure that the ESP is contactable.

You could also try a Bonjour Browser to check the ESP is visible on the network. I use the Discovery app on iOS and my ESP devices appear under Local then _arduino._tcp.
Don’t forget that the mobile device needs to be connected to the same network as the ESP.
If your device is visible there then you know it’s a PC issue. If it’s not there then it’s an ESP issue.

Pete.
By HamzaHajeir
#79014 Thank you @PeteKnight for your info.

PeteKnight wrote:OTA requires the Bonjour service to be running on your PC. You should check that the service is set to auto start and that it’s running.
If it appear to be running okay, try restarting the service, then restarting the Arduino IDE and checking if the issue is solved.

I've checked it, restarted it and IDE, but no success
OTA_Bonjour.JPG

PeteKnight wrote:Also, remember that ESP’s can only work with the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band. If you’re router is configured to segregate the 2.4 and 5GHz bands to different vLANs, and your PC is connected to the 5GHz band then you won’t be able to see the ESP from your PC.
Try pinging the IP address of your ESP (if it’s known) or running an IP scanner on your PC to ensure that the ESP is contactable.

Yes it's pingable and can be found. PC is connected to the 2.4 GHz.
OTA_IP.JPG

OTA_ping.JPG

PeteKnight wrote:You could also try a Bonjour Browser to check the ESP is visible on the network. I use the Discovery app on iOS and my ESP devices appear under Local then _arduino._tcp.

I've downloaded some of browsers, but they couldn't find the ESP.
OTA_bonjourBrowser.JPG

PeteKnight wrote:If your device is visible there then you know it’s a PC issue. If it’s not there then it’s an ESP issue.

Idk if it's an ESP problem, but look at command above to upload a sketch OTA, It works, but it's not visible at IDE neither Bonjour Services.!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HamzaHajeir on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By QuickFix
#79019 Please don't use your Google (or any other external shared) drive for hosting images: this doesn't work for others (we won't see the images). :?

Just upload to this forum using the "Upload attachment"-tab below the "Save draft", "Preview" and "Submit"-buttons. :idea: