Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By mikeh9
#94341 I read a lot of the posts online about this issue and none solved my problem. Initially, I did not have python3 installed. After installing and giving firewall permission to python, the port still did not show up. I restarted the Arduino IDE many times. I could ping the ESP8266 and I could manually upload the *.bin file using the espota.py tool. Bonjour for windows did not show anything.

Then I rebooted the PC.

It works! The port shows up properly and the OTA upload works normally. Not sure why rebooting fixed the problem. FYI...Bonjour for windows still does not show anything so its probably not a good troubleshooting tool.
By Inq720
#94374 I don't use Python, Bonjour, espota.py tool so I am out of my lane. I'm guessing this "OTA_Mode" has something to do with one of those things. I'll probably get hammered for this by someone who knows how to use those things, but since they haven't piped in to help you, I'll throw this out there...

I don't know what port you're expecting to see. Generically... OTA is the act of uploading a bin file to the ESP8266 and the ESP8266 must put it in the "opposite" program space that it is currently using. Your program must handle the uploading and placement. There are many ways to communicate the data to the ESP8266. You can choose to roll your own any way you want. There is also a library #include <Updater.h> that can handle the placement, and rebooting.

One way... for instance, my library includes a File Manager that uploads files to be used as web content. It also allows uploading a bin file and it knows where to put it and reboot to finish off the OTA update. But there is no "port" associated with that.