Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By jamesfu
#91414 Hi, new user here so please be gentle. :)

In the docs, I read about the option to tweak IRAM allocation. However, I do not see those options in my Arduino installation. I have tried switching between esp8266 versions 2.0 - 3.0 in board manager but the option is not available in any of them. Is the doc referencing a pre-2.0 version?

Without boring anyone with too much detail, I am using the ArduinoJSON library to parse some JSON files and it derps out on fringe cases when a file gets too lengthy. I can't be sure, but based on research I think the ability to increase IRAM allocation to 48KB may help my situation.

Thanks in advance for your insights on this!
By jamesfu
schufti wrote:should be here
mmu.png

Hey schufti,

Thanks for the screenshot. That was exactly where I have been looking for it and up until today, that option was not available. (I also tried tinkering with boards.txt using flags found in a PR to enable external RAM modules. That just made the option show up but did not actually alter IRAM allocation.)

Then all of a sudden, it appeared today and is now working as expected. I am running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, Arduino 1.8.13 installed via snap and tried most esp8266 versions between 2.0 to 3.0.

Arduino IDE was last updated almost a month ago and thus unlikely to be responsible for the sudden appearance of the MMU options, so I guess it's most likely to have been a version upgrade in one of the IDE's dependencies?
Code: Select all$ snap info arduino

... [truncated for brevity] ...

refresh-date: 29 days ago, at 11:16 +08
channels:
  latest/stable:    1.8.13 2021-04-19 (56) 195MB -
  latest/candidate: ↑                           
  latest/beta:      ↑                           
  latest/edge:      1.8.13 2021-04-19 (56) 195MB -
installed:          1.8.13            (56) 195MB -
$

In any case, I will report back should the MMU options disappear again, or if I am able to somehow reliably reproduce the MMU options' (dis)appearance.

Thank you!