Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Inq720
Hairyloon wrote:At risk of being the blind leading the blind, I think that's handled by the Webserver library. Serving index.htm is the default thing that they do.

In most web servers (Apache, Nginx, IIS) when the user doesn't put a page on their browser url, the server will look for one or more available default pages. If none of those built-in default files is available, they then show the 404.

I wanted to see what this FSBrowser has to offer and if something more than I already have in my library, it would give me some fresh ideas. However, I couldn't get it to work. Erase flash = "All Flash Contents" and I set my router credentials and tried both SPIFFS and LittleFS and it keeps giving me a "Filesystem init failed!" but it does connect up to my router.

Hairyloon wrote:https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/tree/master/libraries/ESP8266WebServer/examples/FSBrowser

What an excellent bit of example code. Truly outstanding: it does very much what I need it to do, with the things that I want to do looking like they are within reasonably easy grasp.
Upload the code to the chip, and straight away there is a file browser, with the facility to upload files and a text editor: an easily set up website on a chip.
What more could we reasonably expect?

I can think of almost nothing: it would be handy to have the facility to easily download everything all in one, and perhaps that feature is there, but I just have not found it yet.

It is probably desirable to have a password to protect the file manager, but that is perhaps not ideal in example code, and should be easy enough to add.

What I want to do next is to set it up as an access point, and put it down the allotment, to serve as an information exchange point. Possibly I will need to set up a few, on a mesh, in order to cover the whole site, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I don't know what your goals are with FSBrowser... maybe you want to study webserver design or have some highly customized ideas to incorporate... but if you just want a web server might consider using InqPortal. With three lines of code in your Sketch...

Code: Select all#include <InqPortal.h>
InqPortal svr;

void setup()
{   
  svr.begin("MySoftSSID", NULL, "myRouterSSID", "myRouterPassword");
}

void loop() { }

... you get... On the left is Chrome looking at one of the Admin page's tabs which is the File Manager and is built-in to the ESP8266 server. On the right is Windows File Explorer where the files have been selected and dragged over to the ESP8266 Admin File Manager ready to drop. I don't have password protection on the File Manger either. That's a good idea. I'll put it on my TODO list.

Also, there are hundreds of other benefits and capabilities of the library besides file management.
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Hairyloon
Inq720 wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:At risk of being the blind leading the blind, I think that's handled by the Webserver library. Serving index.htm is the default thing that they do.

In most web servers (Apache, Nginx, IIS) when the user doesn't put a page on their browser url, the server will look for one or more available default pages. If none of those built-in default files is available, they then show the 404.

I wanted to see what this FSBrowser has to offer and if something more than I already have in my library, it would give me some fresh ideas. However, I couldn't get it to work. Erase flash = "All Flash Contents" and I set my router credentials and tried both SPIFFS and LittleFS and it keeps giving me a "Filesystem init failed!" but it does connect up to my router.

I think you have to upload a filesystem image or something. Do you have the LittleFS Tool?
What flash size settings are you using?
And what are you using to programme it?
By Inq720
Hairyloon wrote:I think you have to upload a filesystem image or something. Do you have the LittleFS Tool?
What flash size settings are you using?
And what are you using to programme it?

I used to use both SPIFFS and LittleFS extensively before doing my own. I always remembered it having to initialize (which is basically the same as formatting the disk) first then you can use the corresponding tool and upload files that are in a data folder. The error I'm receiving is saying its failing that initialization.

I'm using the Arduino IDE on a NodeMCU, using the: 4MB (FS:3MB OTA: ~512KB)

It was more curiosity... to see what you liked about it. See if there was any benefit.
Thanks.