Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By tytower
cal wrote:Moin,IMHO direct email contact to some generic email relay from IOT s is a bad idea.
It should be a federated design e.g. using some pi as your local hub between iot and the internet.Cal

Cal first what does Moin mean ?
Next can you explain more what
"It should be a federated design e.g. using some pi as your local hub between iot and the internet."
means
By cal
tytower wrote:
cal wrote:Moin,IMHO direct email contact to some generic email relay from IOT s is a bad idea.
It should be a federated design e.g. using some pi as your local hub between iot and the internet.Cal

Cal first what does Moin mean ?
Next can you explain more what
"It should be a federated design e.g. using some pi as your local hub between iot and the internet."
means

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moin

Simple IoT nodes like you garden thermometer don't talk to the internet directly but to some computer in your
local LAN/WLAN. Can be a raspberry class computer. That has proper security and services installed and knows
how to deal with the big world and have easy updates. If you really want your node to send
an email it can work as a relay only but i would expect some rules to get triggered by an
event that send an email then.
You don't want and typically can't deal with that on each IoT device.
Personally I want to use an old PI with OpenHAB . I don't recommend the 700MHz old PI but the new one or some
of its cousins are up to the task.

@TerryE has a take on that, too.

wiki/doku.php?id=nodemcu-unofficial-faq

Cal
By tytower
#19818 OK so I got a little more time in on this . I now get
Code: Select allReady. Press 'e' to send.
connected
220 smtp2go.com ESMTP Exim+Smtp2go 4.72 + (2.0) Mon, 08 Jun 2015 11:24:23 +0000
Sending hello
250-smtp2go.com Hello 117-64-351-67. [117.64.351.67]
250-SIZE 28740000
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
Sending auth login
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
Sending User
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
Sending Password
535 Incorrect authentication data
221 smtp2go.com closing connection
disconnected
Email failed

The way is to set up an account at "smtp2go.com" which is free and easy giving them a name and password to get in there.

Then you change the sketch to send the email to smtp2go.com and they forward it to wherever you want it to go.

I'm sorting it with ethernet atm and when I have it going I will change the code given previously which should then work! Just got a problem with the above atm as you can see