Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By kas
#30051 OK...
I am convinced there is an old WString wandering around on your machine
with missing __FlashStringHelper definition (bug dated March 31, 2015)

My final advice
Close Arduino IDE
delete all files and folders in your Arduino15 folder (just keep preferences.txt)
Arduino15 folders may be in "AppData\Roaming" _and/or_ "AppData\local"
Open Arduino 1.6.5 IDE, goto File/Preferences/Additional boards manager URL
Enter: http://arduino.esp8266.com/staging/pack ... index.json
Goto Menu/tools/board:"XXXXXXX"/Boards manager and download package 1.6.5-1106-g8253b82 (staging version)
Close IDE and re open
By picstart
#30059 Success
I added the type def __FlashStringHelper made on March 15 2015 to the Arduino Wstring.h and it now compiles........I have a PIC IDE that uses WString.h and an Atmel IDE plus the Arduino IDE so deleting all WString.h files was not an option.
It is true the Arduino IDE is not contained within a single directory and oozes out to User/...../Appdata ........ This also true of board.txt and other txt files that support the Arduino IDE. There are also *.xml files that give the Arduino GUI choices for the user.
The PIC IDE is the most obvious in that it never oozes out of its directly unless the user makes it happen.
Lazarus like Arduino makes choices of where to place files without disclosure but Lazarus has an option to give control to the user to select a single directory. IMHO there should be an option to contain all code in single directory " program files(86)/Arduino" I kept the WString.h files the other IDE's use and delete as many duplicate references that I could find within the Arduino IDE.
It is unfortunate that WString is such a much used file for C compilers and also is MCU specific to the esp8266 within Arduino. The oozing that is a part of the Arduino IDE makes back up and restore of a specific version complicated due to the oozing into other directories with resultant dependencies.
Anyway thanks to advice from Kas............ I have success

Again the new type def that was added to WString.h for the Arduino IDE on March 31 2015 messed things up for me.
By kas
Success
:D :D :D

IMHO there should be an option to contain all code in single directory " program files 86)/Arduino"
The option is actually built in, just create a new folder named "portable". Look here for more details

Finally, back to the original scope of this discussion, can you successfully run MQTT_led_V1.06.ino ??