Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By mogs
#26040 Hello ESP8266 community.

I recently had need to forward OSC messages from TouchOSC http://hexler.net/software/touchosc to an Arduino (Teensy 3.1) based project. The ideal solution was of course to have esp8266 acting as a gateway to one of the available UARTs.

I found the CNMAT OSC library https://github.com/CNMAT/OSC but this didn't work correctly out of the box. After looking through this forum I found ameisso's port of the library https://github.com/ameisso/OSCLib-for-ESP8266 with which I was able to successfully receive and respond to messages from TouchOSC.
For some reason it does not include the SLIPEncodedSerial part of the CNMAT library. If you simply take SLIPEncodedSerial.cpp and SLIPEncodedSerial.h from CNMAT and put it into the ameisso library folder, serial OSC messages work as well.

After some initial issues with losing bytes while reading SLIP messages I was able to get the thing working. So far this implementation has proved to be pretty reliable (*EDIT* see note below about message flooding). I'm now enjoying building up control surfaces in TouchOSC for use on the Teensy3.1.

Some issues I am aware of:
    Serial->UDP messages are being truncated to approximately 500 bytes, this could cause issues with long messages/bundles.
    OSCBundles are not implemented, at this time I have not experimented with bundles at all.
    *EDIT* esp8266 module will crash if messages come in too quickly.

*EDIT* 2/9/2015: now rate limited to approx. 100 messages/second, excess messages are simply discarded. This seems more stable now. Ideally I would only discard duplicate messages, but this works well enough for my current needs.
Code: Select all// This program converts UDP OSC messages into SLIP Serial OSC messages on the ESP8266 wifi board
// At the moment there is no OSC bundle support, not sure I need it at the moment

#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>
#include <WiFiUDP.h>
#include <OSCMessage.h>
#include <SLIPEncodedSerial.h>

int status = WL_IDLE_STATUS;
const char* ssid = "wifissid";  //  your network name (SSID)
const char* pass = "wifipassword";       // your network password

int localPort = 8000;
int destPort = 9000;
IPAddress outIp(192, 168, 2, 39); //default IP, will change with received udp

WiFiUDP Udp;
SLIPEncodedSerial SLIPSerial(Serial);

void setup()
{
  SLIPSerial.begin(115200);
  WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);

int tries=0;
  while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
    delay(500);
    tries++;
    if (tries > 30){
      break;
    }
  }
  Udp.begin(localPort);
}

void loop(){ // read=udp->serial, write=serial->udp
  int rd,wr;
  OSCMessage rMsg, wMsg;
  //static unsigned int bp = 0;
  static bool packet = 0;
  static unsigned long  tr = 0, tw = 0;

if((rd = Udp.parsePacket())>0){
    if(tr - micros() > 10000) {
      outIp = Udp.remoteIP();
      while (rd--)
        rMsg.fill(Udp.read());
      if(!rMsg.hasError()) {
        SLIPSerial.beginPacket();
        rMsg.send(SLIPSerial);
        SLIPSerial.endPacket();
      }
      rMsg.empty();
    } else {
      while (rd--)
        Udp.read();
    }
    tr = micros();
  }

while(!SLIPSerial.endofPacket()) {
    if(wr = SLIPSerial.available()>0){
      tw = micros();
      if(!packet)
        packet = 1;
      while(wr--) { //this needs a byte limit
        wMsg.fill(SLIPSerial.read());
        //if(++bp >= 512) break; //packets seem to get truncated about here anyway
      }
    }
    if((micros() - tw) > 10000) break; //Timeout for no eoP()
    //if(bp >= 512) break; //break again
  }

if(packet) {
    if(!wMsg.hasError()) {
      Udp.beginPacket(outIp, destPort);
      wMsg.send(Udp);
      Udp.endPacket();
      packet = 0;
    }
  }
}

Regards, mogs
By Guitman
#29149 Hi mogs,
Thanks for uploading. I'm currently working on a similar solution: Teensy >SLIP> esp8266>UDP >Max/msp
Your code looks like it would help me a lot, unfortunately I'm getting an error message when I try to compile:

from SLIP_UDPClient.ino:6:
/Users/ghjk/Documents/Arduino/libraries/OSC/OSCData.h:95:5: error: 'OSCData::OSCData(int)' cannot be overloaded
OSCData (int);
^
/Users/ghjk/Documents/Arduino/libraries/OSC/OSCData.h:94:2: error: with 'OSCData::OSCData(int32_t)'
OSCData (int32_t);
^
Error compiling.

Any ideas what went wrong? Did you edit the .h files in some way to get this to compile?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: I found the problem, I needed to comment out OSCData(int) in the OSCData.h and .ccp , now it's running great :D . Thanks again for the code.
By Prodical
#40295 Hi mogs

"I recently had need to forward OSC messages from TouchOSC http://hexler.net/software/touchosc to an Arduino (Teensy 3.1) based project."

I'm trying to do exactly the same...

I'm familiar with TouchOSC and the Teensy... but a newbie with the ESP8266. Got as far as ordering a Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing and FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V and installing the ESP8266 Arduino Addon to the Arduino 1.6.7 IDE ready to do some testing...

I'm sure I'll find your info and code useful... but any chance you could provide a more blow-by- blow account of things like the ESP8266 module you used, how you programmed it and wired it up to Teensy and any other info on your general approach...

Would be much appreciated.

Best

Prodical
By harald25
#47968 Hey!
I'm having some trouble.
When I use your code to forward OSC messages from my ESP to my Teensy, all OSC message values come out as 0.
I just tried to only use my ESP, in other words not forward the messages over serial with SLIP, and then all values are correct.

I can't wrap my head around what is causing this problem. Have you encountered anything similar before?