Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Venkatesh
#33260 By default espota.py is set logging to "WARNING" mode and hence you may not be able to see all the messages. By default you can only see "Uploading........" that's all in arduino output console while uploading sketch to ESP OTA.

So see all the changes, find "espota.py" inside your "Arduino" installation folder, goto "def main(..)" function and change the "logging.WARNING" to "logging.INFO"

I tried using "-d" parameter in properties file instead of change the "espota.py" and it didn't work for me.

Another thing, you no need to be in "flash" mode for flash over the air.
By krzychb
#33296 Thank all of you for nice words and opinions what to put into documentation. This is very helpful and encouraging!

@igrr – I need some guidance what particular release and ino example to use for github wiki.

Basing on couple of tests made on IDE 1.6.5 with ArduinoOTA library and BasicOTA.ino example together with ESP12E / CH340G LoLin module my findings are as follows:
• Stable esp8266-1.6.5-947-g39819f0 does not support this new library.
• Staging esp8266-1.6.5-1160-gef26c5f seems to provide support but I got errors on various stages of testing.

I my opinion cons and pros are as follows:
1. DNS_SD_Arduino_OTA.ino + esp8266-1.6.5-947-g39819f0
+ solid & stable
- more coding to add to a sketch
- this is not what we are ultimately looking for
2. BasicOTA.ino with esp8266-1.6.5-1160-gef26c5f
- not fully implemented / tested
+ simple coding and ultimate solution

Option 1 is ready and quick to add to the wiki. I believe option 2 requires extra support from the team to resolve / fix the issues to provide sensible and easy to follow documentation.

Any option above (or some other) is welcome :)

Krzysztof
By igrr
#33337 Krzysztof, i would go with the latest possible version (either staging release or git version).
If you encounter some issues, these have to be fixed. Let us know either using gitter chat, or create an issue on Github.

Personally I would go with the latest git version because this way you can test again once we fix something. Installing git version is much easier now, check the Readme for instructions.

Thanks
Ivan