Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By penatenjoe
#33347 Hi Krzysztof,
I got it working now. Here my discoveries:

Going back to the stable release helped. I can now flash the code using your settings with the NodeMCU board which I could not using the same settings in the staging release.

With the stable release the upload process now triggers the windows firewall during the first upload. My conclusion: javascript not finding python.exe is only an issue with the staging but not the stable version. The upload failed the first couple of times with the IDE showing a timeout. Then suddenly it started to work with no further problems (not sure what happened) - thanks to your help.
This becomes really awesome, thanks to all who contributed.

For my project I think I need the mkspiffs tool to upload my html-pages into SPIFFS. Igor added that to the staging release. So I guess I hope that one of the capable guys will fix the sync issue with NodeMCU in the next release and the javascript error for OTA too. If someone would add a feature for "Esp8266 sketch data upload" via Wifi that would be heaven...
Anyone using the terminal window via Wifi? That would be cool too...
Thanks again
Bernd
By krzychb
#33350 @ brutzler
This is excellent news you made the staging "1.6.5-1160-gef26c5f" working! This is the mission I embark on as well. 
You got the right folder with new OTA implementation on github. I believe the key new features served with the new ArduinoOTA library are as follows:
    making the code more concise and easier to embed,
    providing “simple uploader” and “advanced uploader” options.
The “advanced uploader” is to help manage OTA for several ESP modules – check out initial documentation on github - https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/blob/master/doc/ota_updates.md

In my opinion, if your current implementation is working, I would not change it unless you need features of "advanced uploader".

Thanks again for this post with your findings – this is very helpful :)

Krzysztof
By penatenjoe
#33353 Hi Krzysztof,
I got it working now. Here my discoveries:

Going back to the stable release helped. I can now flash the code using your settings with the NodeMCU board which I could not using the same settings in the staging release.

With the stable release the upload process now triggers the windows firewall during the first upload. My first uploads failed a couple of times with the IDE showing a timeout. Then suddenly it started to work with no further problems (not sure what happened) - thanks to your help.

Dear Brutzler,
After reading your response I went back to the staging release. I modified the boards.txt file as described in your link. After changing the new "Reset mode" to NodeMCU the OTA worked well. Your hint to restart the IDE after changing PATH was probably what I missed when I tried first. The "python.exe" error did not appear anymore.

This becomes really awesome, thanks to all who contributed.
If someone would add a feature for "Esp8266 sketch data upload" via Wifi that would be heaven ...
Anyone using the terminal window via Wifi? That would be cool too...
Thanks again
Bernd
By brutzler
#33356 @Krzysztof

Just trying to embedd the code of the DNS_SD_Arduino_OTA into my sketch.
You did some hints in your post: http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?p=33222#p33222

Declaration and setup-stuff is plausible for me.
But looking on the loop-code, I am just wondering whether I need the telnet-stuff??
What for is this?
Upload is working without it. (I masked it out and uploaded successfully)