Arduino News here

Moderator: igrr

By Vicne
#56011 Hi,

I spent the summer playing with the incredible ESP8266 and its great Arduino package, and I was happy to find that some shortcomings (e.g. limited serial buffer and slow HTTP server performance) were being worked on or already fixed in Github.
However, these were marked for the 2.4.0 Milestone, but that release seems to be stalled.
The 2.4.0 Milestone progress is stuck at 6% for weeks and the last commit was more than one month ago (Sep, 2nd).
So I wonder: has development stopped on the Arduino ESP8266 package and all focus moved to ESP32, or can we expect more ESP8266 package releases in the future ?
Kind regards,

Vicne
By Vicne
martinayotte wrote:I think IGRR and Me-No-Dev are working hard to make the ESP32 released.

Yes, that's my understanding too...
Of course extracting a version from the current head is feasible and documented, but it requires installing git and fiddling with folders in Arduino IDE setup although, and it's far less convenient than the boards manager way (not mentioning that the auto-update makes it a breeze).
Could we help wrap up an intermediary release (say 2.3.1) including the fixes already in ? I am not familiar with the github release management but I'm willing to spend time on learning if it helps...

Kind regards,

Vicne
By schufti
#56091 it is not that compilcated. Just:

a) download the .zip archive
b) find the 2.30 folder on your PC
c) replace all content with the new files from the archive EXCEPT platform.txt

this should bring you in line with the svn