Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By tytower
#24645 I'll leave that answer to someone else but, deep sleep works well for such an application and is easy to implement so maybe just buy a couple of new ESP12 boards and connect XPD pin to reset, but then maybe you have the sensors soldered in or something .
By PaulRB
tytower wrote:maybe you have the sensors soldered in or something .

No, its all on breadboard at the moment, but the only way to implement deep sleep on ESP-01 is to solder a very fine wire onto one of the "legs" of the ESP chip, across to the reset/XPD pin on the 0.1" header. Such a shame the ESP-01 boards were not designed with this connection already made, given that the leg in question is not accessible for any other purpose.

So I will consider purchase of an ESP-12. Another idea is, given that I may ultimately need more than one ADC input anyway, to use an attiny84/5 as an i2c slave, making its inputs available to the ESP. If I do that, I could also implement a way for the attiny to reset the ESP-01 every 5 minutes. This makes life more complex, however, having to program 2 chips!
By torntrousers
PaulRB wrote:...So could this light sleep offer me an attractive compromise? If so, what do I do in place of delay(300000UL) ?

If you run in station mode instead of access point and station mode then it does appear that light sleep is the default. So just add
Code: Select allWiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
at the start of your sketch and thats it. You can keep the delay(300000UL) and the light sleep should kick in for the delay.