Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By r4adi0GaX2
#82258 I just bought and received my first NodeMCU ESP8266, I downloaded the ESP8266 Boards on Arduino following the instruccions (https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino) but when I turn on the NodeMCU and the leds light up, I can’t find it in the port section...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By mel
#82283 Hi, im just looking at the Board you have selected and see that the one you have chosen is what i think is an older Board, try changing that to the Board with "esp-12e" in it name, i think its the one just under the one that is selected here, hope this works for you.
Regards,
Melissa.
By QuickFix
#82287 I virtually know nothing about Linux (I absolutely don't like it), but the procedure for installing a NodeMCU (or similar board) is pretty straight forward for all OS'es:
  • Make sure the Arduino IDE is not running and the board is not connected
  • Determine what USB -> UART convertor your board has:
    NodeMCU-USB.jpg
  • Download and install the correct driver (i.e.. CP2102 or CH340G)
  • Connect the board to the computer and make sure it is seen (preferably make a note of its COM- or dev-port)
  • Done
To check if your computer can actually *talk* to the board:
  • Open a terminal with, for instance, PuTTY and connect using the port noted earlier at 74880 Baud
  • Press the RESET switch on the board and watch your terminal window, it should show something like this:
    Code: Select allets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:?, boot mode:(?,?)

load 0x4010f000, len 1264, room 16
    tail 0
    chksum 0x42
    csum 0x42
    ~ld

(The actual rst cause or boot mode will show some values instead of ?, but it's the general response that counts here)
  • If it looks like above, all is fine and you can start up the Arduino IDE and select the port
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By quackmore
#82291 Hmmm

could be a permission problem accessing the usb device
this is what I see in my case

Code: Select allyouruser@yourhost:~/$ ls -la /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 May 14 19:57 /dev/ttyUSB0

checkout which groups your user belongs to

Code: Select allyouruser@yourhost:~/$ groups
... dialout sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth lpadmin ...

and eventually add dialout

Code: Select allsudo usermod -a -G dialout youruser