Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By xtal
If I connect serial monitor (9600) and 'reset' i see
CODE: SELECT ALL
NodeMCU 0.9.6 build 20150704 powered by Lua 5.1.4
lua: cannot open init.lua
>

That is a normal Nodemcu boot,,,
Its waiting for commands
Download ESPlorer v0,2 to have an easier view of whats going on....
See NodeMCU documentation for commands

using ESPlorer it is easy to upload LUA scripts

the latest SDK is 1.5.1 but you have to have 1Meg flash
You can get latest from Frightantic.com /custom builds , select the modules you want - and build
wait for email
By jrubins
xtal wrote:
If I connect serial monitor (9600) and 'reset' i see
CODE: SELECT ALL
NodeMCU 0.9.6 build 20150704 powered by Lua 5.1.4
lua: cannot open init.lua
>

That is a normal Nodemcu boot,,,
Its waiting for commands
Download ESPlorer v0,2 to have an easier view of whats going on....
See NodeMCU documentation for commands

using ESPlorer it is easy to upload LUA scripts

the latest SDK is 1.5.1 but you have to have 1Meg flash
You can get latest from Frightantic.com /custom builds , select the modules you want - and build
wait for email

So the esplorer thing works just fine (thanks for the tip!), but I want to be able to program in arduino with the arduino IDE (because that's what I know).

WereCatf wrote:Have you tried holding the flash-button down while pressing reset? That should place it in a bootloader where no other code is executing and the issue with wrong direction for data should disappear and uploading a sketch with Arduino IDE should work fine. It's sometimes necessary to do it like that if e.g. your sketch just happens to write to the serial-port when the IDE tries to initialize uploading, and it would appear that the Nodemcu - firmware does exactly that.

I've tried holding one button, both buttons, holding the flash button while holding then releasing the rst button. Nothing seems to work, but I can upload from esplorer like a champ.

At least it seems that the nodeMCU itself isn't broken, I just can't figure out what magic I need to get the arduino IDE to work.

One thing that may be an issue is that it using some crappy chinese usb to serial chip - ch3406. I have the drivers and have assigned the port a symlink. And talking to the MCU doesn't seem to be a problem from other apps, just arduino. Is there some firmware I can add that might help to prime it for the arduino firmware?

Thanks,
JR