Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By josephchrzempiec
#80947 Hello i have a question. Would it be possible to upgrade the memory past 4MB? I have see a few people on arduino upgrading the ESP8266 to 4MB flash chip. But i wonder if i can go past that? I have all the winbond chips. 1MB, up to 512MB chip.

Joseph
By QuickFix
#80966 From the ESP8266EX datasheet:

Datasheet wrote:3.1.3. External Flash

ESP8266EX uses external SPI flash to store user programs, and supports up to 16 MB
    memory capacity theoretically.

The minimum flash memory of ESP8266EX is shown below:
    • OTA disabled: 512 kB at least
    • OTA enabled: 1 MB at least

So, in theory it should be possible to attach a flash-chip with a maximum of 16MB.

If you trying, we're interested in your results, so please share them with us. :idea:
By josephchrzempiec
#80968 Hello i have added 32MB so far. And it does work. But i was wondering if i can go a little higher like the 64MB chip or the 128MB chip. I'm looking at the pinout and layout of the chip to make sure it can all line up and it if does maybe soon i can try it. But just seeing If anyone has attempted it yet.
By btidey
#80970 Also please be clear about the size of memory you are trying.

MB Mbytes
Mb Mbits

So the memory supplied on many common modules is 32Mb or 4Mbyte

According to data sheets the ESP8266 can address up to 16Mbytes of flash (128Mbits)

So chips up to 128 Mbits (16Mbytes) should work OK. If you go higher than that they may appear to work but you would need to check the memory space isn't being aliased (wrapped around) as the data sheet would imply.