Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By Bill2k
#82816 When is it appropriate to use a dns server? I have only used a dns server when using an esp8266 in ap mode as a captive portal. Are there other situations to use a dns server? Thanks.
By ajaybnl
#82978 Dns server is a Domain Name Server. You just type a website address and the DNS Server will translate it to ip.

On esp boards you can point all Websites to your Captive Portal (192.168.4.1). :D
By rudy
ajaybnl wrote:Dns server is a Domain Name Server. You just type a website address and the DNS Server will translate it to ip.

On esp boards you can point all Websites to your Captive Portal (192.168.4.1). :D

The OP knows that, and has stated that he has done that. But he asks "Are there other situations to use a dns server?"

When I thought of this question I thought of mDNS and the reason for it. To locate local devices without the use of a DNS server. But from my experience mDNS has not been as reliable as I would want. I had thought of a ESP8266 that would be a local DNS server on my network that would handle IP address lookup for my devices.

While I thought of this, I don't know enough about DNS, what conflicts I might have, to suggest this as an answer. It is something I want to look into more but it is pretty low on my priority list.