Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By CarsonGrey
#87076 Hi all, I’m currently running WLED for 450 LEDs on WS2812b with the NodeMCU as the controller, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a dedicated 5v 10a power supply - but everything is already wired in. Am I able to power the NodeMCU via USB and connect it to the data pin only, while running power from the power supply down the 5v and GND lines (through the dedicated 3 pin wires that come attached to the strip) or will this not work? Thanks!
By robinjamess
CarsonGrey wrote:Hi all, I’m currently running WLED for 450 LEDs on WS2812b with the NodeMCU as the controller, but I’m wanting to upgrade to a dedicated 5v 10a power supply - but everything is already wired in. Am I able to power the NodeMCU via USB and connect it to the data pin only, while running power from the power supply down the 5v and GND lines (through the dedicated 3 pin wires that come attached to the strip) or will this not work? Thanks!

As long as you bond the ground from your USB power supply to new 10 amp power supply. You can just use a spare ground pin off the board and tie it in with the ground on the 10 amp power supply. You need to do this because the data lines reference ground. Potentially the board ground and power supply ground could have a potential difference I.E lights will not behave correctly or so weird things you don't want them to. Its best practice when using multiple voltages to keep all grounds tied together to make sure all devices are referencing the same ground plane.