Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By richard.taplin
#94753 I am learning about using the ESP8266.
I’m doing things one step at a time as I don’t fully understand how the web works.
I have successfully set up an ESP8266 to send a basic page using its IP address, over Wi-Fi to my computer and phone.
Before I get into web pages or other programs, I would like to do the same seemingly simple thing remotely over internet instead of just my local network.
I’m not sure what questions I should be asking. I think I need to set it up as a web server.
Question. Is this possible without using web pages etc?
If so, could anybody direct me to info or YouTube videos explaining what steps I need to do?
By quackmore
#94762 I think you are asking good questions, just a lil vague
I'm surprised nobody answered to this post

if I got it right, you are asking "how can I reach IOT devices in my lan from the internet"

http (the 'web pages') is not the only way to do that, there are alternative, such as mqtt, but when you move to the internet you might want to shift your focus from the protocols to security

for instance, running a web server on your device and configuring your lan router for port forwarding would solve your problems but it is unsafe

better use some kind of 'proxy' on the cloud

an easy and safe solution could be looking for 'hosted iot platforms' or 'hosted mqtt brokers' that can manage security for you so that you can skip to the good part

of you can dig into the vps world and do it by yourself

it's a long way, hope you know what to google now