Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By JohnSL
#16703 Here is some additional information I've learned in the process of getting Visual Micro to work with the ESP8266. There are two different versions of the IDE I've used, and the comments above don't apply equally to both versions. Here is what I've learned:

* Arduino 1.6.1 from esp8266/Arduino: Apply the instructions from Bynigelbe. In other words, update the esptool entry in platform.txt and select esptool as the programmer
    * Arduino 1.6.3 from Arduino.cc with sandeepmistry/esp8266-Arduino applied: Apply the instructions from Bymactro about updating the runtime settings in platform.txt

Finally, after you modify platform.txt, be sure you reload the tool chains from Visual Micro: (using Tools => Visual Micro => Reload Toolchains). Otherwise the changes you made won't be picked up.

-- John
By Visual Micro
#17878 Hi,

The latest release of Visual Micro supports the Arduino board options so you will now see menus and tool bar controls for the esp upload and cpu speed.

For the 1.6.x version the is a bug fix that caused intellisense to fail. This was because the esp core contains files that start with a full stop. Visual Micro ignores these files but didn't do so for the variants folder. Visual Studio intellisense failed because of .pins_arduino.h, not sure about Atmel Studio.

The usb debugger is also now working for esp8266 and will test more during the coming weeks.

The update means that you do not need to make any special considerations to use esp8266 in Atmel Studio or Visual Studio. So the other posts in this thread can now be ignored. (thanks to the posters)

Regards,

Visual Micro
By cherowley
#17935 Hi,

So, is there a fix for this as I can't get intellisense to work (fresh install of all the latest bits - vis studio community ed, arduino ide 1.64 and visual micro) ? :)

(I put a post asking this in this very forum yesterday :) )

Cheers!

Visual Micro wrote:Hi,

The latest release of Visual Micro supports the Arduino board options so you will now see menus and tool bar controls for the esp upload and cpu speed.

For the 1.6.x version the is a bug fix that caused intellisense to fail. This was because the esp core contains files that start with a full stop. Visual Micro ignores these files but didn't do so for the variants folder. Visual Studio intellisense failed because of .pins_arduino.h, not sure about Atmel Studio.

The usb debugger is also now working for esp8266 and will test more during the coming weeks.

The update means that you do not need to make any special considerations to use esp8266 in Atmel Studio or Visual Studio. So the other posts in this thread can now be ignored. (thanks to the posters)

Regards,

Visual Micro