Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By PaulRB
#27262 Eurika!!!!

My uploaded sketch is running!

I have rebuilt the entire circuit on a different breadbaoard, with the same esp01-breadboard adaptor, but with the new usb/ttl adaptor. Plugged BarnabyBear's esp01 in, which ran fine as always. Plugged my other/old esp01 in, it did not run. Re-flashed the simple sketch from the IDE and... Bingo! It runs, I can see the hello messages on serial monitor. It runs fine powered by the 3.3V supply from my USBasp and runs fine using my new ams1117 regulator.
1440800371329.jpg

So, in my mind, the finger of blame points squarely at my old usb/ttl adaptor.

So I then moved the esp01 back to the original breadboard with the old usb/ttl adaptor. The sketch runs fine and I can see the hello messages on serial monitor. I then attempt to re-flash. But now, flashing fails every time with the message
Code: Select allwarning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed

If I move the esp01 back to the new breadboard/usb-ttl, I can flash OK and the sketch runs.

Finally I can continue developing with esp. Thanks so much to BarnabyBear and martinayotte for your patience and support.

@BarnabyBear, could I ask one more favour? If I post this old usb/ttl adaptor to you, could you test it to confirm my diagnosis?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By martinayotte
#27267 Wow ! What a relief ... ;)
This is good news ! :)
Maybe you should put a drop of red paint on the bad one ! :D

I've never seen that : upload success but this upload is corrupted somehow ...
For further investigation, maybe you should again upload with the old USB-UART, and then "read_flash" that back with the newer one and compare both binaries to figure out which bytes were becoming corrupted.

Happy Development !
Ciao !
By PaulRB
martinayotte wrote:maybe you should again upload with the old USB-UART

Well, Martin, I can't do that. I can no longer flash with the old usb uart. I have tried several times but I just get that error message. It seems very strange to me. As though the esp had been reporting a sucessful upload when in fact the data was corrupt. Perhaps the esp firmware was corrupted in such a way that that could happen. But that seems too improbable, especially when you know it happened with both my esp01s.

Maybe I will devise a way to test the old usb uart. A loop-back test, or something using one of my Arduino.
By Barnabybear
#27301 Hi, great news.
PaulRB wrote:@BarnabyBear, could I ask one more favour? If I post this old usb/ttl adaptor to you, could you test it to confirm my diagnosis?

Yes, no problem.
PaulRB wrote:Finally I can continue developing with esp.

What do you have planned?