Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By caswal
#31281 I am using a DC-DC buck converter. I havn't bridged the ESP-8266 directly with a large cap. I'll give that a go, and re adjust the converter to give 3.3V at the ESP. Although with the new setup I doubt there is any drop between by the buck converter and the ESP, but I will check.

Last night I really tidied up my layout, newly cut single core copper hookup wires, made a proper breakout board for the ESP, the DC-DC buck converter, fed by the 100W 5V PSU. Beside having a large decoupling cap right on the ESP (the buck converter has a tantalum cap on the output). I can't really give it a more ideal situation. Still not seeing any stability. I am hitting the module with about 30-50 packets a second, 768 bytes in each packet. Packets are only sent if an acknowledge packet has been received.

But I am not calling yield() anywhere, so if something in RTOS is catching up with me, and stalling. That could be it. I forgot to try it last night.
By mrburnette
caswal wrote:<...>
But I am not calling yield() anywhere, so if something in RTOS is catching up with me, and stalling. That could be it. I forgot to try it last night.

I'm nowhere certain that it will help you. I do it rather naturally as this is how uC RTOS get the single-thread back so that timer ticks can be allocated to another hosted process such as the RF stack.

Still not seeing any stability. I am hitting the module with about 30-50 packets a second, 768 bytes in each packet. Packets are only sent if an acknowledge packet has been received.

I have never utilized UDP broadcast for larger datagrams, I'm only sending about 70 character record per second. In theory, UDP should be faster than TCP since there is no overhead for packet out-of-sequence and retransmit. But, a quick search just now really does not provide any significant insight.

Even the small, portable, LiFePO4 powered OLED + ESP8266 UDP broadcast receiver seems quiet stable. I can understand the frustration you must be feeling but I honestly have no other suggestions of where to look for fixes.

I did a quick experiment yesterday by putting the ESP8266 into a tin coffee can and then shielding the opening excepting a small slit to view the display. Inside the Faraday shield, the unit lost contact with the attic broadcaster and the display stopped updating. Removing the unit from the steel can, it did not automatically restart. This is something I need to investigate further on some cold, rainy day.

Ray