Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By dwelty
#31964 I have a network performance project for school. My idea was to empirically test the reliability of several (five or so) point-to-point links of ESP-12s, then compute the various possible system reliabilities based on which nodes were allowed to route through other nodes. Finally, I would program the modules to communicate over these system routes and see if the results matched my predictions. Is this an achievable project? Can ESP8266's be set up in an ad-hoc network like this? Are there any other ideas you all may have? Thanks!
By mrburnette
dwelty wrote:I have a network performance project for school. My idea was to empirically test the reliability of several (five or so) point-to-point links of ESP-12s, then compute the various possible system reliabilities based on which nodes were allowed to route through other nodes. Finally, I would program the modules to communicate over these system routes and see if the results matched my predictions. Is this an achievable project? Can ESP8266's be set up in an ad-hoc network like this? Are there any other ideas you all may have? Thanks!

Wow!
So, you have a school project. You want it to be successful. But a quick Google search of the terms ESP8266 + mesh + "ad hoc" returned few quality hits. One you should read is:
https://esp8266mesh.wordpress.com/
where some code is already developed to have ESP8266 automatically join with their neighbor.

The problem I have with answering this is that your project is too broad to really be achievable. I can (and did often in my corporate career) perform statistical projects to prove/disprove just about anything you can think of in IT computing. My boss would take the results of the experiments and often say, "thanks" but he would just as often say, "wrong answer, try again." Math can prove anything. Math can disprove anything.

So, write your proposal to ensure you can achieve your set goals. Personally, I would look at what has been done with the ZigBee and then attempt to structure your preliminary research around how well the ESP8266 can match the ZigBee in functionality. Once you have your touch-points, then research to determine if the ESP8266 functional interceptions are a viable experimental project.

IMO: never, never, never start a project paper on a question!

Ray