Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By shamziman
#39994 Hi,

I get your point but the argument posted is a bit specious. I don't really want to "get into it" on this forum, but the arguing that because not everything can be included, that nothing can be done is a bit obtuse. It's hardly a practical deduction for life, i.e. there are too many roads to Los Angeles, so let's never drive there, or, there are too many possible letter combinations, so let's stop using words or making dictionaries. There are also far more extensive projects than drivers for the ESP8266 chip in it's various packaging and versions that do survive quite well in revision control repositories. NetBSD, for example, supports 8 Tier 1 cpu architectures and 49 Tier 2 architectures. FreeBSD's (and MacPorts/Darwin ports) port system has over 12,000 third party applications that can be installed as binaries or compiled. These are projects with millions of lines of code in a variety of languages.

My point, if it isn't yet clear, is that not everything would have to be included, but one could choose areas where the benefit for the company is the greatest and the chances of completion are reasonably good. The problem is not monolithic. It can be subdivided into manageable pieces and these can be prioritized.

Since I'm probably not going to do the work, this is only a suggestion. I just found the reasoning posted about why one shouldn't do it not very logical or helpful.

S.
By WereCatf
but the arguing that because not everything can be included, that nothing can be done is a bit obtuse.

but one could choose areas where the benefit for the company is the greatest and the chances of completion are reasonably good.

As I said, they already officially do support AT-commands and their own SDK, so they have already done exactly what you asked for. They just didn't choose the areas you'd like for them to choose.
By shamziman
#40007 Hi,

It's not even close to what I asked for and the idea that there are a billion different (as in distinct) devices or a billion different languages is so obviously obtuse that I'm obviously not going to get anywhere discussing this with you.

Thanks for trolling.
By Vinylon
#40029 Getting back to the Arduino questions, arduino.cc has great reference and library pages. Most of the libraries work more or less out of the box with the ESP8266.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Libraries
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage

The ESP8266-specific libraries have pretty good example sketches, too. They're in the 'examples' directory of each library, or you can load them from the IDE. They're under File -> examples -> library.