Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By Sune Pedersen
#41992 Hi Everyone,

Thanks for a great ressource, im having a blast the last few months exploring the ESP8266 though some Nodemcu 1.0 modules I have bought for testing the capabilities.

We are currently using an Arduino Yun on our open source Hyperboard R2 electric 3d printable skateboard (www.faradaymotion.com) that is controlled by a smartphone, but would like to use a smaller and cheaper module if possible.

I have made a setup now that is pretty cool but im struggling with some issues.

The ESP8266 is running in AP mode and a smartphone is connected and sends 11 bytes every 50 ms. However i have encountered a few problems with this (running 2.1.0 RC2):

1. Reading 11 bytes, seems not to be able to run quicker than every 100ms on average, mostly i receive 2-3 packages of 11 bytes once i receive data. I have used setNoDelay(true) on server and client.

2. When test driving the vehicle/ESP8266 in WIFI dense areas, it seems like there is no communication going on between the smartphone and ESP8266 and it also sometimes goes into a kind of zombie mode when this occurs. I have tested to put the AP on channel 11 and setOutputPower to 20.5, it seemed to improve the situation a little but im still not 100% satisfied. I have not been able to get deeper into this, but its something i have never experienced with the Yun, do you guys have any ideas?

3. I cannot get it to work with the 802.11n speed, even with PHY_MODE_11N, but i guess its not supported for AP mode?

I would like some feedback on the above. Are there other tweaks or solutions to the described issues or is it as expected? Is the ESP8266 not really suitable in regards to the application? If not, what would your suggestion be?

BR
Sune Pedersen