Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By danbicks
#26457 Hi Guys,

Is there a way to Protect the code in an ESP?

I am originally from a PIC background and that was pretty easy, simply set code protection bits when flashing in firmware and vola code is secure. I want to secure some code for a customer what is the best way to do this with the ESP platform.
All suggestions welcome.

Dans
By GigAHerZ
#26458 As far as i know, there is no code protection available on ESP8266. The best way to protect your code may be some kind of self destruction system. :P
By schufti
#26466 hmmm, I think that codeprotection for arduino sketches would be a simple breach of GPL :roll:
As at least most/all libraries are under GPL you would even be obliged to publish the source of your "product", so no need for sketch code protection...

For other methods of programming (e.g. direct C/C++ via espressif SDK) you'd have to consult the terms of their firmware.
By danbicks
schufti wrote:hmmm, I think that codeprotection for arduino sketches would be a simple breach of GPL :roll:
As at least most/all libraries are under GPL you would even be obliged to publish the source of your "product", so no need for sketch code protection...

For other methods of programming (e.g. direct C/C++ via espressif SDK) you'd have to consult the terms of their firmware.

schuft,

Most of us at some point in time create products for customers. Many library's that are provided are for use across many sectors not only for personal use! and it is normal protocol that one communicates with the creator of a given code block to ensure they are happy with your intentions. In fact I have also published code here and really do not mind if it gets used in whatever! this is ridiculous that you see it an issue to protect the code in a micro-controller that has been modified and agreed for the consumer market.

Dans