Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By schufti
#26511 regarding GPL issue: while the statement of igrr might hold true for arduino.cc parts, it's only partly reflecting situation of 3rd party libs. True, there are lots with BSD or MIT licenses but sure enough you find several with GPL 3 or CC 3 sharealike.
And if you have to release object code ... they mean the executable one, not the encrypted.

If you just want to block simple chip-copys you don't have to wait for igrr, you can read the esp8266/flash/whatever serial and do some "verification" right now.
By igrr
#26514 LGPL doesn't require you to release original unencrypted object code. The only requirement is that the user should be able to link your object code with LGPL libs himself. So you can give the user these requested object files which contain encrypted parts. You will obviously have to provide different users with different object files, but that's not a real issue — LGPL doesn't require you to provide files via anonymous download. Make user send you a request with MAC address, and send him encrypted object files in return.
Nokia used to do something like this many years ago.
By schufti
#26517 again: only true for pure arduino.cc code/libs and BSD/MIT
as soon as GPL 3 or CC 3 is involved simply NO.
And especially authors using that type of license won't grant you an exemption to use their code commercially.
Even newer adafruit libs come with gpl 3.
By igrr
#26519 Sure thing — I was only talking about libraries bundled with the 8266 core. With an exception of SD library these are all LGPL.

Plus, when you use stuff in a commercial project, you may approach library author and ask for different license conditions. I have done this in the past and many folks who are not GPL-crazy will actually be okay with that (sometimes even for free).
This will obviously not work with Adafruit or other companies who need software to be a commodity in order to sell hardware... but then again, i'm sure you will find liberally-licensed alternatives for much of the stuff they release under GPL.