Sming - Open Source framework for high efficiency native ESP8266 development

By Tired2
#25487 Hi,

I've tried for a few hours not to get sming installed and running on windows.

I am pretty sure it is a simple problem related to paths in the makefiles, yet it seems nothing I try works.

After a fresh install with 'chocolately', including Eclipse IDE, I get the following error:

Code: Select allDescription   Resource   Path   Location   Type
make: *** [out/build/system/irq_check.o] Error 127   SmingFramework          C/C++ Problem

Or, in more detail using 'make' on the command line:

Code: Select allC:\tools\sming\Sming>make
AS system/irq_check.s
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), /c/Espressif/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/xtensa-lx
106-elf-gcc -Isystem -Isystem/helpers -IWiring -ISmingCore -Iappinit -ISmingCore
/Network/ -ISmingCore/Platform/ -IServices/ArduinoJson/ -IServices/DateTime/ -IS
ervices/SpifFS/ -IServices/WebHelpers/ -IServices/libemqtt/ -ILibraries/Adafruit
_GFX/ -ILibraries/Adafruit_ILI9341/ -ILibraries/Adafruit_PCD8544/ -ILibraries/Ad
afruit_SSD1306/ -ILibraries/BH1750FVI/ -ILibraries/BMP180/ -ILibraries/Bounce/ -
ILibraries/DHT/ -ILibraries/HMC5883L/ -ILibraries/I2Cdev/ -ILibraries/LiquidCrys
tal/ -ILibraries/MMA_7455/ -ILibraries/OneWire/ -ILibraries/TFT_ILI9163C/ -ILibr
aries/Ultrasonic/ -ILibraries/WS2812/ -ILibraries/cWebsocket/ -Isystem/include -
Isystem/helpers/include -IWiring/include -ISmingCore/include -Iappinit/include -
ISmingCore/Network//include -ISmingCore/Platform//include -IServices/ArduinoJson
//include -IServices/DateTime//include -IServices/SpifFS//include -IServices/Web
Helpers//include -IServices/libemqtt//include -ILibraries/Adafruit_GFX//include
-ILibraries/Adafruit_ILI9341//include -ILibraries/Adafruit_PCD8544//include -ILi
braries/Adafruit_SSD1306//include -ILibraries/BH1750FVI//include -ILibraries/BMP
180//include -ILibraries/Bounce//include -ILibraries/DHT//include -ILibraries/HM
C5883L//include -ILibraries/I2Cdev//include -ILibraries/LiquidCrystal//include -
ILibraries/MMA_7455//include -ILibraries/OneWire//include -ILibraries/TFT_ILI916
3C//include -ILibraries/Ultrasonic//include -ILibraries/WS2812//include -ILibrar
ies/cWebsocket//include -Iinclude -Iinclude -Isystem/include -IWiring -ILibrarie
s -ISmingCore -I/c/Espressif/ESP8266_SDK/../include -I/c/Espressif/ESP8266_SDK/i
nclude -I/c/Espressif/ESP8266_SDK/include/json -Os -g -Wpointer-arith -Wundef -W
error -Wl,-EL -nostdlib -mlongcalls -mtext-section-literals -finline-functions -
fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -D__ets__ -DICACHE_FLASH -DARDUINO=106 -c sys
tem/irq_check.s -o out/build/system/irq_check.o, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [out/build/system/irq_check.o] Error 2

The files exist, so I'm not sure what is going on...

Code: Select allC:\Users\evan.jensen>dir c:\Espressif\xtensa-lx106-elf\bin /B
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
xtensa-lx106-elf-addr2line.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-ar.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-as.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-c++.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-c++filt.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-cpp.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-elfedit.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-g++.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc-5.1.0.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc-ar.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc-nm.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc-ranlib.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcov-tool.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcov.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-gprof.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-ld.bfd.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-ld.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-nm.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-objcopy.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-objdump.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-ranlib.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-readelf.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-size.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-strings.exe
xtensa-lx106-elf-strip.exe
zlib1.dll

I've been told to check my ESP_HOME path in Makefile-project.mk and Makefile-windows.mk, but I think is correct in both... still the same error.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. This framework looks really nice, but it is making me feel like a total newb currently over what I'm sure is something simple like a bad path.
Last edited by Tired2 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Tired2
#25488 It looks like I partially solved this... I'm new to all of this, but it seems the format of the paths are very particular...

In some places, the comments imply that '/c/Espressif' are okay, or that 'C:\Espressif' is later parsed to match the proper syntax, but I could never get this to work.

I managed to get the framework to compile by setting the paths to:

Code: Select all## ESP_HOME sets the path where ESP tools and SDK are located.
## Windows:
ESP_HOME = c:/Espressif

## SMING_HOME sets the path where Sming framework is located.
## Windows:
SMING_HOME = c:/tools/sming/Sming

Now on to the examples, which are giving other path issues.
By Tired2
#25491 Ugh,

After messing with paths a while longer, I'm stuck now on:

Code: Select allinclude/user_config.h:26:40: fatal error: espinc/c_types_compatible.h: No such file or directory

The file seems to exist, and the folder looks to be included, so I don't know what to think.

One large realization I made is that the file structure on my disk ended up looking like this:

c:\tools\sming\
c:\tools\sming.examples\
Both locations contain the examples, and both locations contain the sming framework. The eclipse projects point to the sming.examples folder, so that added a bit to the confusion of it all.

Once I got my paths corrected in the sming.examples folder, I can build the framework no problem, but I still get the error above.

Is anyone else trying to develop with sming on windows?

This bug report seems to be the same problem, and It also points to path problems, but I dont' feel like all this makefile surgery should be required, I've got to be doing something wrong here.
By kenn
#25495 Sorry to hear of your problems.

To develop with Sming on windows, I went this route:

1) download and install the CHERTS Unoficial dev kit for windows according to the supplied instructions. This installs itself at C:\Espressif.

I've been using this dev environment since Mikhail first brought it out, and it's been great.

Be sure to try compiling at least one of the supplied examples, to confirm that the dev kit is working correctly.

2) Create the folder C:\Espressif\Sming, and git pull the Sming repo into it. I've been working with Sming since it appeared and this is how I started out.

3) I think there was a little configuration to do in eclipse and the windows make file, such as SMING_HOME = C:\Espressif\sming\Sming (...it was so easy I've forgotten it, but it wasn't as hairy as your experience has been). I also had to separately grab spiffy.exe (flash filesystem maker) and put it in the path.

Anyway, to answer your question - yes at least one person is actively building with Sming in Windows. :)