Sming - Open Source framework for high efficiency native ESP8266 development

By ScottE
#29274 I am just getting started with ESP8266 and microcontroller dev in general and am really glad to see this framework to up-level the development effort. I have an IoT project in mind where I will need to connect to a mail server with TLS in order to send SMS messages as alerts. I have been able to cobble something together using espconn_secure_connect from the 1.3 SDK (outside of Sming). I don't know the details but realize that the Sming framework uses a different (lwip) implementation of espconn which does not include the secure versions of connect, send, etc. Sorry if this is a silly question but I've looked around on this forum and haven't found any references to SSL/TLS support in the framework. Is there any work being done or planned to be done to support secure connections?
Thanks for any info!
By rant
#29632 Its not silly, actually what is silly is the company who makes them.
We have spend so much time and energy first to understand their crapy data sheets(ended up using node mcu) .
Then to discover that they just left the ssl thing somewhere up in the air.

No support for ssl , and not going to happen soon probably ( they say that you have an ssl , and they show some stupid example, but there isn't really) and so spending time on this part is a bad idea because you cant do anything without ssl .

(not to mention that it has various of bugs such problems when connecting to wpa2 (and not wpa) or other strange bug that no one is going to solve )
By tve
#29748 @rant: TLS is supported by the SDK, just not by sming 'cause it bypasses the espconn layer and goes straight to LwIP. Also wpa2 has nothing to do with TLS other than being an encryption layer... So I don't know what you're ranting about...

@ScottE: the lack of TLS is one thing that has kept me from using sming, but I think it would be quite OK to use the espconn calls for this purpose. That won't integrate with the C++-based network stack in sming, but if you can benefit from other aspects of sming then it may be OK to deal with the espconn stuff directly. The learning curve is long, but now that I know all the gotchas I find it easy to whip up another server or client protocol.
By rant
#30456 @tve Really there is an ssl? I think you are very wrong. Not using sming , only nodemcu or just native AT commands, there is NO ssl option. Can you for example connect to Twillio? To parse.com? Directly? Not via thingspeak? If so , show me how. You cant even establish first connection to their sever via tcp because its an ssl.