A Basic Interpreter written from scratch for the ESP8266

Moderator: Mmiscool

By dilettante
heckler wrote:Hey Dilettante, and others,

I have the same module you referenced in the first post in this thread.
I searched for "Makerfocus ESP8266 Module ESP-12E NodeMcu" and found the same module picture on Amazon. So I think they are the same module.

So I first did a "Firmware Flash" from the OS utility, choosing 4M for Flash Size. No problem.

Thanks for the input, but what "OS Utility" are you referring to here?

Also "try flashing several times" seems like odd advice. We aren't writing on sandstone with a sharp stick or something. ;)

In any case I tried a few repeated flash operations using the ESPBasicFlasher but still no go.
By heckler
Thanks for the input, but what "OS Utility" are you referring to here?

Also "try flashing several times" seems like odd advice. We aren't writing on sandstone with a sharp stick or something. ;)

In any case I tried a few repeated flash operations using the ESPBasicFlasher but still no go.

The OS utility or Tool that I am referring to is just the ESP flasher utility.

You are right... "not sandstone" but it took a couple of time to get the module flashed and working after I did the "format" button (the Format option does not seem to work when I try it and it did seem to make my module not work)

Sorry you are having so much dificulty. I have successfully flashed around a dozen different modules and they all seem to work. esp8266-01, nodemcu, Sonoff

Do you ever see the blue LED on your module blinking rapidly during the flash routine??
In order to get the module into the flash mode you might try holding down the reset button then press the flash button then release the reset then release the flash button last, then click the "Firmware Flash" button in the utility. After a few seconds you should see the LED blinking rapidly until the flash is complete. Do you ever get that far??

I would suggest you try a different module and see if you have success there. When you get one working you will have more confidence in how it is supposed to work and what to expect.

good luck
dwight
Last edited by heckler on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By forlotto
#60118 What wireless card are you using for your computer/laptop

have you tried with your phone?

I don't know this just seems very very irregular almost as if something is not being done correctly I'm half tempted to have you ship it to me so I can flash it for you ;) But I'm really puling for you I keep checking daily hoping you made it .

Anyhow I'll let you mess about a bit more be strong with it flash it 3 or 4 times consecutively. be sure to disable your wifi and power down your router and then just re enable your wifi card and do a scan to make sure there is not some odd issue with interference there shouldn't be but who knows if you eliminate things one by one and focus centrally on one thing it always helps ...

The other thing that works is if you leave it plugged in once you flash it and go to sleep tonite and wake up in the morning and see if there is any wifi labeled ESPXX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX x's are the mac id of your esp device.

Very odd thing but I remember falling asleep at the keyboard messing with one and I woke up and there the wireless connection was when I first started playing with these things odd suggestion I'm just thinking of possible things.

Interesting case though I will give you this.

Take Care.
By dilettante
heckler wrote:Do you ever see the blue LED on your module blinking rapidly during the flash routine?

Sure, most definitely. As I said, I can flash NodeMCU LUA and run it with no issues, and the same sort of blinky-blink occurs using the NodeMCU flasher as well.

I don't seem to be alone in this, but if you have the same device and got it working that's great. I'm about out of options though and may just drop back and live with LUA or fall back to C++.