Current News

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Luc Volders
#55284 For anyone that is interested you can find the source code of sending voice commands using bluetooth over an Android machine here:

http://lucstechblog.blogspot.nl/2016/01 ... mmand.html

So the only thing you would need to do is to adapt the App Inventor software to work with Wifi in stead of bluetooth. This could be done using this example:

http://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266- ... -inventor/

Should not be too difficult.

That way anybody with an Android phone can send voice commands to the ESP. No need for extra amazon hardware or anything else.

What lacks at this moment for me to realise such a project is just: time...........

So anyone interested in this go ahaed. With the above leads it should be easy.

Luc
By forlotto
#55291 I have already done this before ....

Not a practical solution for me. The idea of voice control is excellent but android as a platform the way things are set up is not so good here is why:

If you need to use your phone manually you take away the benefit of what voice control is supposed to offer hands free interfacing the most natural form of interface with a device is to speak to it and have it do work.

I can tap my screen 1 more time then you have to at current and preform any function so at this point why speak as I can more quickly press a button and not have to working about mistranslated text etc.

So unless we can modify android to make it always scan for voice maybe a magic word like Jarvis or home or whatever and get rid of the lock screen so this service is running at all times and does not require swiping or tapping I don't see it as a useful OS to develop any voice controlled software because it is nothing than a fancy feature lacking any real benefit unless your software is too complex which is the fault of your software design in the first place in most cases.

Do you or anyone know how to make android useful in this manner would be nice to see some old phones put to good use I currently have two tablets one on each couch that are able to control everything with charging cable right there.