Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#34042 Would be interesting to see a basic example of a 120v light socket dimmer along with instructions.

Preferred using LED bulbs if possible like 100w

Are dimmable LED bulbs automatically compatible with typical dimming circuits or zero cross detection that I read about?
By trackerj
forlotto wrote:Would be interesting to see a basic example of a 120v light socket dimmer along with instructions.

Preferred using LED bulbs if possible like 100w

Are dimmable LED bulbs automatically compatible with typical dimming circuits or zero cross detection that I read about?

You have a very good start here: http://www.esp8266-projects.com/2015/05/p3-wifi-mains-power-dimmer-switch-with.html

For your case - 120V /60Hz - just adapt de values.

This type of Dimmer is not suitable for LED lights. They are other solutions for LED lights, this one is working OK with incandescent bulbs only.
By forlotto
#34103 Dunno if that is true exactly according to cree there dimmer savvy LED bulbs are compatible with a number of dimmers utilizing different methods of dimming.

Actually more of them are leading then trailing based dimmers according to phase cut edge...

I don't quit understand if the zero cross does the same thing or not... I guess I am not certain but I would like to see an incorporation with an LED light or if need be possibly make one myself with the proper research.

Thank you all for the responses with LED being the emerging technology due to durability (life span), energy use, and eco friendly materials and processes. No gas filled, mercury filled bulbs that will create points of high concentration when disposing of them this is not just an advertisement it is the facts. Now as far as energy use you need to evaluate the lumens produced vs the energy used more so to see just how energy saving the bulb really is more so in the LED market than even say the florescent market I think. A lot of companies try to advertise 100w equiv bulbs that are really lucky if they are 75watt equiv in the amount of light they give off a 100watt bulb should give off about 1600 lumens or possibly more on average to really provide the same amount of light this can be done in the 18watts of power used range or possibly 16 watts of power used although I think at 16 it would be closer to say a 90watt if I recall correct. Lumens per watt I think is an important figure with today's lighting it forces the consumer to learn more but there should be accountability in the way of standards and naming with LED bulbs really but this is really all another subject.

Bottom line I need to know if zero cross is the same as what traditional dimmer switches use before purchasing a board or parts for dimming LED bulbs.