Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#34115 Here is a little bit more info dug up on types of dimming...

Generally: Many LED devices (not the LEDs themselves, but the full combination of LEDs, power socket and internal control circuitry) are NOT suitable for dimming. Most often, the internal circuit operates by sending pulses of predefined current amplitude through the light-emitting elements, and only a minority (the costlier ones) of those a suitable for dimming without causing inconvenience for the user, and/or damage to the unit itself.

1) A resistive dimmer switch:
This is not a switch as such, but a potentiometer, or regulator, for the ones who may not know what a potentiometer is.

2) Using a resistive dimmer between the main voltage and the transformer will damage the transformer:
A transformer will not be damaged by having a resistor in series with its primary winding, but possibly a low-voltage (switching) power supply might.

3) LED’s cannot be dimmed using resistive dimming; it will slowly damage the LED’s:
The main LED elements ARE controlled by limiting the current through, and will in many cases controlled by resistive limiting. In some cases, though, the LED element itself can be made to shine apparently brighter, by pulsing higher than average currents through the elements. This is mainly because the eye is sensitive to the peak light level, rather than the average level.

4) Pulse-width modulation works by switching the voltage on and off at a variable speed.:
Not necessarily. The term means that the source is on for a variable proportion of each cycle, while the frequency might well stay constant.

5) PWM – flickering:
Is more likely caused by the time the power is on becoming so short, that the internal regulation circuitry does not have “time” to “turn on” the light.

6) TRIAC Dimming:
The TRIAC is only able to switch off when the current passes through zero. (As opposed to IGBTs).

I have no comments to the remainder, as I have not studied any of that nature in the past.

I would also like to say DMX dimming is also possible from what I have read today.

I am half tempted to get a board and try it out with a dimmable LED bulb from Cree from what I understand it may work so as long as you do not dim below 10% so maybe a dimmer module used in conjuction with a relay to turn the voltage off if of course the only problem is flickering I see no point to go lower than 10% lighting really.
By forlotto
#34158 well I ordered a dimmer board either way I guess we will see if it works with LED bulbs or not right :P

some things you just have to see for yourself

I own non dimmable LED bulbs but also ordered some dimmable cfls to test support of dimming if it says dimmable on the light bulb with zero cross we shall see what compatibility issues arise I am curious to see it for myself.

If anyone has an idea on where to start with dimming for basic please do go ahead and shoot I see the other code that was posted however basic is a different ball of wax than the example shown.
Anyhow take care and thanks all for the info.
By Mmiscool
#34161 test this code. It use PWM.

Code: Select alllightLevel = 0
slider lightLevel 0 1023
button "Set Light" [setLight]
wait

[setLight]
pwo 2 lightLevel
wait

By forlotto
#34224 So to get this right for a led I would assume I would just 101 and 1023 as values should keep it from flickering as LED's seem to really flicker to where they are visible at less than 10% or so I have read anyways as always it is nice to confirm things.