Post about your Basic project here

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Rotohammer
#34121 I just wanted to note here that I used the instructions from:

https://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/LCD-Blue-I2C

to enable a 1602A 16x2 LCD that has an I2C adapter board attached.
Note: you need to use version 1.21, not the later ones.

I just got it running, but I'll post more details as I progress. I'm expecting some of the 0.96" OLED displays this week, so I'd like to make it such that either type of display can be utilized. Since Michael just added OLED support, I figured it was a good time to play with the 1602A unit while I wait.

Update: I duplicated the functionality of oledprint/oledcls/oledsend into new commands lcddprint/lcdcls/lcdsend for the 1602a display. Tomorrow I should have a .96 oled to test with, so as soon as I can test running both displays chained on I2C at the same time, I'll submit a patch. I tossed in a lcd backlight on/off command as well.

For those who may be interested in advance, heres a patch against ver 1.41:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Rotohammer
#34561 While running the 1602a , I unplugged it, plugged in the 0.96 oled, rebooted and changed the commands from lcdprint to oledprint and everything worked fine. So, in theory, they could be both hooked up at the same time.

So now to determine whether its worth keeping the commands separate or combining them into a unified command. I think its best to keep them separate, as they each have extra feature that may need to be handle in the future.
By viscomjim
#34577 I agree, one is more or less a character display and the other is more of a graphics type display. Great News that you got it working, can't wait to try it out. Do you think you will have support for the 2004 i2c lcd also?

Thanks again!
By Mmiscool
#34579 Imported the patch in to the main branch. Will be releasing tonight.

Might want to look at the way displays are handed. Possibly better t have common commands for all display drivers added to interpreter to make the code more portable between different users. I could see supporting some even larger displays.