Tell me what you want, What you really, really want.

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Boxey
#59713 Just wondered if there is any way to integrate Blynk commands into ESP8266 basic?

;)
By Boxey
#60571 If I beg and plead ;) I wondered if the handsome Mr MM, could maybe, possibly, have a quick look into whether adding or integrating Blynk commands into ESP BASIC would be a possibility? :)

I would like to be able to use Blynk with projects built with ESP BASIC, and although I had a look through the Blynk source code files ( https://github.com/blynkkk/blynk-librar ... tag/v0.4.3 ), I'm at a loss as to how I could convert these to be able to use them.

I thought I might have to go back to using the Arduino IDE and program the ESP the old fashioned way :shock: , and even dusted off my old Arduino UNO and reinstalled the IDE ...but ...yuck, compared to programming using MM's BASIC, it seems tedious and a step backwards. Having to write code on a PC, compile it, connect the ESP with a cable :roll: upload the code, and only then be able to run it on the ESP... only to find out there may be an error somewhere or something simple needed changing, and having to go through the whole process again!

My projects usually require a few ESP's to be located outside the premises or in the garage, and the simplicity of being able to just log into these from anywhere and change or adjust the code is a godsend :) with ESP BASIC I can even do this from in the bath on my phone, which is great! :D

I looked into using the Arduino IDE option of OTA updates as possible solution, but compared to the way ESP BASIC works, it seems a bit long winded, requiring several extra lines of code and the need for the program to constantly check for an OTA update within the "loop", whereas ESP BASIC makes things so easy and makes utilizing and updating a project very quick and simple (or as simple as you want it, as ESP BASIC can also do some complicated stuff, but it even makes that easy, thanks to MM and the thought that's gone into it).

I have now resigned myself to continuing to use ESP BASIC for everything ESP I do, as the usability and flexibility of it is amazing, and MM deserves a medal for the hard work that has obviously gone into it (and I haven't even mentioned the "on the fly" VAR's and DEBUG options, which take the stress out of finding any errors).

The only thing I miss is being able to use the Blynk app on my phone to control everything, and although I could use the MIT app inventor to build a basic app, Blynk seems to offer a more professional and streamlined look and feel, and to be able to use this with ESP BASIC projects would make it perfect ...and make me a very happy boy :D ;)
By heckler
#60651 I'd like to add my voice to this request... I believe BLYNK would be a major enhancement to espBASIC!!

edit... after looking into BLYNK I see that it relies on an external cloud server as a middleman, that is a bit disappointing. I have already worked with the ElectricIMP module and did not like the fact that it required an external server to make my projects function.

dwight
By Boxey
#60823 Blynk also offer all the info and files to run your own Blynk server on your own network if you wish, offering better security and alleviating the need to use their cloud server ;)

Details at: http://docs.blynk.cc/#blynk-server

Although I imagine using their own servers is no bad thing, being able to run your own Blynk server and have ultimate control over everything makes it an even more attractive option :)