General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By viscomjim
#37165 I am building a project for a friend (www clock) and the default program will run when the unit is powered up. Obviously, since I had originally set the esp up on my network, it knows the ssid and password and connects automatically. If this unit is used at another location, how would my friend be able to connect it to his network? He won't have the ability to access the serial port either.

So basically, how would one set up the default program to allow him to connect to his network and then just run the program? Is there any way for the default program to somehow have a set "unusual" ip address that anyone could see from a browser and then enter their network info and automatically run the default program.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the info would come in handy if someone wants to distribute a product to a "non-technical" person, have them power up, go to an ip address on their browser and connect the unit to their network.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!
By viscomjim
#37183 That is a good point. I believe you are correct and I will try that tonight. If this is the case, lets say I tell him to hook up to the ESP and go to his browser and type in 192.168.4.1, can a program start to run, instead of the normal menu bar thing that comes up? This program would just have two input boxes that say enter network name and network password, he hits a button and it automatically logs on and starts the program?

Maybe one other input box that you could put a secret code into to just go to the regular edit menu bar? Something like this in order for someone who know NOTHING about this stuff, can still use the product for its intended purpose and not be able to get into anything else?

Thanks!
By DrG
viscomjim wrote:That is a good point. I believe you are correct and I will try that tonight. If this is the case, lets say I tell him to hook up to the ESP and go to his browser and type in 192.168.4.1, can a program start to run, instead of the normal menu bar thing that comes up? This program would just have two input boxes that say enter network name and network password, he hits a button and it automatically logs on and starts the program?

Maybe one other input box that you could put a secret code into to just go to the regular edit menu bar? Something like this in order for someone who know NOTHING about this stuff, can still use the product for its intended purpose and not be able to get into anything else?

Thanks!

You may want to look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1783&hilit=store+ssid+password I have not tried the code but it seems to be relevant to what you are describing.

Cheers,

DrG