General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By flywire
flywire wrote:With LoLin NodeMCU V3 Dev Board I get:
error: Failed to open COM5
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I noticed Build\4M\ESP8266Basic.cpp.bin file in the installation so I just flashed that with ESP8266Flasher. Seems to have worked.

I retried the ESP Basic Flasher and it worked this time.
Run ESP_Basic_Flasher, select Comm port, Select Flash Size, press connect button, press Firmware Flash.

The flash does not seem to affect the user area because all my previous settings and files were retained so it connected straight to my home router. I didn't disconnect it from my PC USB port so it continued to log my commands in the terminal window.

I thought I'd try the Format flash button so reconnected the usb, run ESP_Basic_Flasher, select Comm port, Select Flash Size, press connect button, press Format Flash -> ERROR: Win7 esptool.exe has stopped working. I swapped usb port and tried reset and flash buttons but same result.

One query re Reflash. >> It connected an IP address with a MAC address commencing with A2 which I opened in my browser and got the normal home screen. I had cleared the DHCP Active IP Table in my router but it listed a different IP address named ESP_XXXXXX with a mac address commencing with A0. I assume the second one is an Access Point but I can't find it as a wifi point or connect to that IP Address.
By flywire
Electroguard wrote:... if flasher.exe is not 'run as administrator' the flasher button will work ok but the format button will always fail.
To confirm - I ran it as an administrator.