Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

Which module form factor do you prefer?

34%
5%
49%
4%
8%
By gbit
#1970 Thanks for pointing out, I had gone through all modules and hadn't noticed that there were variants.
Turns out the ESP-05 also now has a different pinout, with a 5th pin added (reset).
And the ESP-02 might have a 3rd pinout, judging by this web link:
https://ex-store.de/Funk/Wireless-Netzw ... ::161.html
which shows:
Code: Select all        ___
       |   |
 GND  o|   |o  RST
 URX  o|   |o  GPIO2
 UTX  o|   |o  GPIO0
3.3V  o|___|o  PowerDown
By nurio
gbit wrote:Thanks for pointing out, I had gone through all modules and hadn't noticed that there were variants.
Turns out the ESP-05 also now has a different pinout, with a 5th pin added (reset).
And the ESP-02 might have a 3rd pinout, judging by this web link:
https://ex-store.de/Funk/Wireless-Netzw ... ::161.html
which shows:
Code: Select all        ___
       |   |
 GND  o|   |o  RST
 URX  o|   |o  GPIO2
 UTX  o|   |o  GPIO0
3.3V  o|___|o  PowerDown

@gbit, a couple of hours ago I started playing with an ESP-02 that I bought on eBay and I can confirm that the pinout on the unit that I received is the same as the one you posted. when I stated working on my project I noticed that the ground pin and ground traces were not at the same location as the pintout image suggested. So I kept following the rest of the pins and and came up with the same results.

It seems that currently all the eBay sellers that sell the ESP-02 are actually selling the ones with the GND on the top left (when the antenna connector is at the top), which is easy to tell based on the large ground traces next to the pin, assuming of course that the posted image is of the revision they are actually selling. While some of the sellers actually use the wrong pinout image in the item description.
By Didier9
#2152 I just bought (not received yet) a couple of modules looking like the ESP-05 but with 5 pins instead of 4. I believe the extra pin is Reset. I would have preferred the Power Down/reflash pin now that I think of it (can always recycle power to reset).
If anyone has tried those and was able to reflash them, I would appreciate some pointers.
TIA
Didier
By gwizz
#4047 Hiya

I'm still waiting for my Wi07-3 boards from ElectroDragon and a couple from ebay - esp-07 and esp-01 but I am so excited I want to start now!! Instead perhaps I can help edit a post?

This thread (and others) is really helpful for getting to grips with the modules but the info could do with being brought together into the first post - and even making it sticky in this sub-forum?

I am happy to help with this if I can edit the original post, or perhaps I should post my own topic so that I can do this?

It's the combination of this chip and the great community that makes me feel we can push past the problems of patchy vendor information and make some amazing things!! I would like to help turn this chip into something that an experienced arduino hacker could reasonably get going with. At the moment I think it would be a bit too hard for many at that experience level.

Kind regards

Gareth