Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By Sprite_tm
#1727 Officially? I don't think you can without signing a NDA with Espressif. Unoficially? I don't think the owner of this board wants URLs to illegally software shared here. Sorry :/
By nicoverduin
#1729 Sounds a bit dumb to me.... They are selling boards with the ESP8266 chip and potential to become a widely accepted module. for the SDK 0.9.1 one way or the other, the source is made avaiable. NExt comes out 0.9,2... So what can the user access extra? then comes 0.9.2.2.... upgradeable through Wifi. So how can people use the new functionality if not made available..... What is the point of selling modules if they are not accessible?
By mamalala
nicoverduin wrote:Sounds a bit dumb to me.... They are selling boards with the ESP8266 chip and potential to become a widely accepted module. for the SDK 0.9.1 one way or the other, the source is made avaiable. NExt comes out 0.9,2... So what can the user access extra? then comes 0.9.2.2.... upgradeable through Wifi. So how can people use the new functionality if not made available..... What is the point of selling modules if they are not accessible?

They are not selling modules, only the chips. All the modules with the ESP8266 are made by others. 0.9.2 didn't bring much new stuff either, to be frank. The over-the-air upgrade already was in 0.9.1. I agree that it is a shame that they are still so reluctant to release a freely usable SDK, let alone usable documentation. Even the stuff you get when signing the NDA is quite lacking.

In the end i guess they will have little choice than to make it more open and accessible. After all, the cat is already out of the bag. Whatever they give to those who signed the NDA, it is quickly available for download somewhere. People start using the chip for their own purposes. We have a working GCC now. Also, if you ask me, it is a rather questionable tactic to use freely available sources, add them to a product, and then close up the sources. They are happy to profit from using lwip, ssl and json, from freely available sources that have a permissive license, for example, but then refuse to do share.

An heck, there now is an IDA plugin available to easily disassemble the code for the chip, including the stuff that is in the internal ROM. It's just a matter of time, question is only if they want to be left behind or if they want to be part of it. If they are clever, they would open up quickly and thus have their chips become a good selling point. They have a huge chance to make an impact. Yes, right now what we talk about is the poularity in the maker and electronics hobbyist community. But those makers and hobbyists also have jobs, and often in designing and engineering electronics products. Gettimg them "on board" means to get impact in those businesses as well.

Let's just hope that Espressif is smart enough to see and recognize that.

Greetings,

Chris