Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By Llaves
#62776 Thanks - in my limited experience epub (and similar) conversions are frequently problematic, so I'm not surprised you had problems. I looked at OpenLibre->epub, and one of the suggestions is to use Calibre, which I have used with success (though not from OpenLibre input).

If you run into problems and are willing to share your source file, I could take a look at it to see if I have better luck. Not sure how to send a private msg (PM) on this forum, though.
By AmitA
#63127 Hi Neil,

Thanks for you great book. it is a useful reference that gathers information from many places into one central document and as such it is very helpful :)

(*) I see in your post that Jan 2017 esp8266 edition is available, however in leanpub only November version is available.

I have few question regarding the ESP-01 available GPIO ports:
According to the documentation in your book and in other places, I see that ports of GPIO 0 and 2 are supposed to be held to High level after reset to allow proper function in normal mode.
GPIO 0 determines if the ESP is working in firmware update or normal mode after reset.
(*) What is the reason to set GPIO 2 to Hi During reset stage?

I understand that you recommend setting these pins as inputs in order to avoid accidental level conflict on these pins.
Assuming I will choose to use one or both of these port(s) as inputs, which I will connect to a sensor - I can't guarantee what the sensor level will be, and the ESP may need to boot, so I can't control the input level on that pin without added special HW that will tie this pin to high during reset.
In addition the ESP can reset itself due to spontaneous power drop or due to some soft reset.
* How would you approach this problem of using one or both of these ports correctly and assuring no damage will be done, and that the chip will power-up in normal working mode after reset unless I specifically want to program it with new FW?
Did you address this issue already?

* Could you please advise both for the GPIO pins as inputs and also when working with them as outputs?

I think that in addition to the answer here - it is worth to add this info to your book - as this is very basic usage that may be required from the ESP, specifically for the ESP01 that has only GPIO 0 and 2 as ports (also GPIO 1 and 3 - if we cancel the use of UART0).

Thanks,
Amit.
By stern0m1
#64911 Great book! Really got me going with esp8266.
Im looking to implement wifi direct with the esp8266. The datasheets state that it is supported but after searching high and low the most i find was this https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2343. Which makes it sound like with rtos it can be done.

Wifi direct is a great feature for an application where an android will send simple commands to the esp. With wifi direct the user can remain connected to some wifi network while sending a command to the esp. Also its quicker. For simple commands speed can be inportant. Also some new androids have issues with networks that dont have internet.

@Neil do you think it is possible to implement wifi direct with the esp8266 without espressif enabling it in the sdk?
Can you provide with some pointers to get started?

Thanks!
By davydnorris
kolban wrote:There is indeed a lot missing. A long break was taken when I turned to look at Raspberry Pi and CHIP (two other books). However with the arrival of the ESP32, I'm looking again the ESP family. The new ESP32 material will be covered in the months ahead and I've got a lot of polish and catch-up to do on the ESP8266 as well.

I appreciate the list of suggestions to address ... those are just what I need as areas to go study. All of them are new to me ... lots of good thing to go read about and catch up with the rest of the ESP8266 community.

Again ... MANY thanks my friend.

Neil @kolban - if you want any info on I2S, I've been pouring over it for a while now and think I've got most of it nutted out, with many thanks to the very few projects available out there that have used it.

I've also got a C.H.I.P. Dev kit that I haven't even opened because of my current ESP work but I'll be buying your book on that too I think! What's your impressions on it?