Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By kolban
#25375 Thanks for the kind words sir. More to come. I have the September release cooking now and the page count as it stands now is 273. However, in the future, experience has shown that page count won't be used as a metric of improvements. I find that when updates are made in the future, it will be more polish to the existing material including corrections and in-place enhancements and better explanations. Over the next few months I anticipate bursts of increases pages but after that, we may even see page counts go down while the quality (hopefully) continues to improve.
By deadmetaphor
#25659 Thanks a lot for the book! :)

Under the "Areas of Research" section, regarding the second item (about whether an entire library gets pulled in, or just the object files that are needed) - my understanding is that only the individual object files that are needed are pulled in.

Source: Static Libraries section in Beginner's Guide to Linkers

The entire article is very well written introduction to what exactly linking does, and you might enjoy it.
By Rural
#25859 Neil, starting with the overview on page 13: I've always thought of Arduinos et al. as microcontroller-based, whereas the Raspberry Pi and run-of-the-mill computers as microprocessor-based. I'm not sure where the dividing line between the two is (I happen to call anything with a proper MMU a microprocessor) but the ATmega328 is definitely a microcontroller. The ESP-8266, although quite a bit more powerful, still seems like a microcontroller to me, but perhaps I'm way out on my own. If it were me, I'd be careful to use microcontroller for all references to the ESP-8266.

Not that the Wikipedia Arduino page jumps between calling the chips at the heart of the Arduino a microcontroller and microprocessor.

And thanks for putting this book together. I was waiting for something like it to come together before jumping on the ESP-8266.