Post links and attach files for documentation here, also chat about these docs freely

By platforma
#4160 Are you building on 32bit system?

It's the first file it tries to build for gcc. Basically the relevant part of the log is:
Code: Select allg++ -c   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC -DCROSS_DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE  -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-format-attribute -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros -Wno-overlength-strings   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE -I. -Ibuild -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/build -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../include -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../libcpp/include  -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../libdecnumber -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../libdecnumber/dpd -I../libdecnumber -I../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../libbacktrace    \
-DBASEVER="\"4.8.2\"" -DDATESTAMP="\"\"" \
-DREVISION="\"\"" \
-DDEVPHASE="\"\"" -DPKGVERSION="\"(GCC) \"" \
-DBUGURL="\"<http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html>\"" -o build/version.o ../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/version.c
/home/march/wa/esp/xtensa-toolchain-build/build-lx106/root/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/as: unrecognized option '--64'
Makefile:3845: recipe for target 'build/version.o' failed
make[1]: *** [build/version.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
3744 translated messages, 5728 fuzzy translations, 185 untranslated messages.
7227 translated messages, 1763 fuzzy translations, 657 untranslated messages.
/bin/sh ../../../gcc-4.9.1/gcc/../move-if-change tmp-optionlist optionlist
echo timestamp > s-options
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
Makefile:3886: recipe for target 'all-gcc' failed
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

So the compiled xtensa gcc assembler doesn't have the --32/--64 options, since it's build for the different architecture.
Code: Select all./as --version
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.24
This assembler was configured for a target of `xtensa-lx106-elf'.

Native gcc-as however does have these options and i can run /usr/bin/as --64 no problem. So I think the issue is somewhere in config scripts picking up this parameter from my local configuration. I'll have a look a bit more into it.
By omega
jcmvbkbc wrote:@Cnlohr, building the toolchain with crosstool-NG is much simpler: no manual downloads/renames. Described here: https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Toolchain
Otherwise great video (:

I found a bug in the command list that breaks the whole process:

Under "Setting up the Espressif SDK" there's a `mkdir ESP8266_SDK` that should not be there. That causes the contents of the SDK zip to be under two directory levels instead of one. This causes the next patching step to fail as pasted because you're in the wrong directory, and also causes the blinky example to fail to build with a lack of include files in the right places.