Chat freely about anything...

By sblantipodi
#86292 As title.
Do you think that ESP8266 will be dismissed soon?

I'm creating a lot of things with ESP8266 in my house and I would not like to see the ESP8266 dismissed soon,
even for to lack of updates that a dismission can cause.

Is ESP32 a better choice for todays applications?
Many people are switching to the ESP32 from the ESP8266 but does it have sense?

Most applications are so simple like pressing a button, managing a relay, a stepper motor or something similar, is the power of ESP32 really needed considering that it costs more, it's bigger and more power hungry?

Will you see ESP8266 abandoned in the near future?
By RichardS
#86295 There are so many ESP8266 in current products on the market I can not see them stopping the production, and I think if they do they will give plenty of warning.

However I do personally like ESP32 much more, I have great success using then, dual core 240Mhz and 400K RAM... make using them for me easy! And they only cost $1 more... I would rather have the extra power and resources, but again I am not just blinking an LED :-)

RichardS
By sblantipodi
RichardS wrote:There are so many ESP8266 in current products on the market I can not see them stopping the production, and I think if they do they will give plenty of warning.

However I do personally like ESP32 much more, I have great success using then, dual core 240Mhz and 400K RAM... make using them for me easy! And they only cost $1 more... I would rather have the extra power and resources, but again I am not just blinking an LED :-)

RichardS

it all depends on the application, home automation rarely requires all that horse power and smaller size is preferable in most case :)
for me both ESP32 and ESP8266 are great products with their good applications, but using ESP32 for everything is simply not "reasonable" :D
By eriksl
#86460 I really hope that won't happen any time soon!

Although the ESP32 has really interesting hardware (more hardware modules and more memory), it has one great drawback and that's it can only be used with the "OS" SDK. Which is a disaster.

On the other hand, everything the ESP32 can do, can be done with the ESP8266 as well, you just need to add some bit banging code for things like I2C and you must be clever on how to use memory and cpu cycles. If you do that, it can do the same as the ESP32 and at the same time makes it more fun to program.