Chat freely about anything...

By scargill
#5939 This has so much promise - I assume the limit of 2 subscriptions can be easily changed by increasing the count and the number of initialisations?

MAKE on Windows is confusing. I have a Windows PC with the Eclipse setup running - and compile worked first time...blow chips - no problem.

On THREE other machines however (Windows 8) we met with failure. Firstly the assumption that PYTHON is installed - that's easily fixed by removing the PYTHON references as the Eclips setup means the EXE version of this is in place. That took seconds and fixed the MAKE file.

#Esptool.py path and port
ESPTOOL ?= c:\Espressif\utils\esptool.exe
ESPPORT ?= COM4

flash: firmware/0x00000.bin firmware/0x40000.bin
$(ESPTOOL) -p $(ESPPORT) write_flash 0x00000 firmware/0x00000.bin 0x40000 firmware/0x40000.bin

flash_ota: build_ota firmware/user1.bin firmware/user2.bin
$(ESPTOOL) -p $(ESPPORT) write_flash 0x01000 firmware/user1.bin 0x41000 firmware/user2.bin

flash_ota_boot:
$(ESPTOOL) -p $(ESPPORT) write_flash 0x00000 $(BOOTLOADER) 0x01000 firmware/user1_0x01000.bin 0x11000 firmware/user1_0x11000.bin 0x7E000 $(BLANKER)

That sorted the need for PYTHON.

Incidentally, is there any way to pass the COM port from the ECLIPSE environment - it's a pain having to change the MAKE file constantly..??

But errors that don't stop production of files and don't stop blowing the chip persisted. On all 3 machines it was necessary to comment out as follows.... see commenting out below..

$(FW_FILE_2): $(TARGET_OUT)
$(vecho) "FW $@"
$(Q) $(FW_TOOL) -eo $(TARGET_OUT) $(FW_FILE_2_ARGS)
# $(Q) $(MERGE_TOOL) $(FW_FILE_1) $(FW_FILE_2) firmware/app.bin

$(FW_FILE_U1_2): $(TARGET_OUT1)
$(vecho) "FW $@"
$(Q) $(FW_TOOL) -eo $(TARGET_OUT1) $(FW_USER1_2_ARGS)
# $(Q) $(MERGE_TOOL) $(FW_FILE_U1_1) $(FW_FILE_U1_2) $(FW_FILE_U1)
# $(vecho) "CREATE " $(FW_FILE_U1_1) $(FW_FILE_U1_2) $(FW_FILE_U1)

$(FW_FILE_U2_2): $(TARGET_OUT2)
$(vecho) "FW $@"
$(Q) $(FW_TOOL) -eo $(TARGET_OUT2) $(FW_USER2_2_ARGS)
# $(Q) $(MERGE_TOOL) $(FW_FILE_U2_1) $(FW_FILE_U2_2) $(FW_FILE_U2)
# $(vecho) "CREATE " $(FW_FILE_U2_1) $(FW_FILE_U2_2) $(FW_FILE_U2)#

With that commenting out done the files compile perfectly.. but I'd REALLY like to know why this was necessary on 3 computers and not on a 4th...

Any thoughts? I really don't understand the cloud uploading part of this and how that would apply to our own projects.
By scargill
#5940 Another question - this seems to work AWFULLY well - are you planning to continue development in the near future to ensure it is rock-solid? I could see a lot of people using this including me... beats having a network of radio boards all over the place. I think I'd like to be able to make changes to subscriptions via the serial line (stored in FLASH) so that the ESP-01 could be programmed up via the serial port with subscriptions, router info etc and then plugged into an application, rather than recompile every time...