Chat freely about anything...

By dirknerkle
#44103 I may have solved the problem of timeouts with the ESP8266 module. Here's what I have so far:

ESP8266 setup
----------------
* Dedicated IP address (not using DHCP), OUTSIDE of the Access Point's DHCP addressing range
* Security settings match the A/P
* Set in Multicast mode
* The ESP modules are the communication units that are connected to pixel and incandescent Christmas lights and related electronc controllers that provide power to the lights.

Access Point Setup
---------------------
* Standalone, not connected to the Internet
* Set as DHCP server, range is set to provide up to 100 addresses, from 192.168.11.100 to 192.168.11.199
* Standard security settings
* Beacon interval set to the lowest setting, in this case 40ms. This ensures that the AP sends out a beacon almost constantly.
* DTIM interval set to 1, which makes it the same as the beacon interval. DTIM is the delivery traffic indication message.
* DHCP lease time is set to 2 minutes. This refreshes all the DHCP controllers, but in the process, controllers that are set to dedicated IP addresses seem to get some sort of contact packet from the AP as well. The rumor on the street is that the ESP8266 modules seem to time out around 5 minutes, and this ensures there's plenty of overlap so that every 5 minutes, they get at least two hits from the AP.

Using the above settings, I've been able to consistently leave the ESP8266 devices powered on but no control signals being sent out to controllers for more than 60 minutes at a time. I'm running more tests for longer periods of inactivity to see whether it holds true for them, too. More information as the tests continue...
By dirknerkle
#44117 Just a little followup....

I let the ESP8266 sit powered on but otherwise idle for 6 hours, and when I sent it commands, it immediately responded. I'm very pleased.

There may be other access point settings that will work but clearly in my case, this has solved my dilemma. The secret seems to be very frequent refreshes of the network beacon in combination with a shorter DHCP lease time period. This way the ESP module never gets a chance to go dormant.

I love it when stuff works!!!